Sunday, January 15, 2012

Denver Broncos Cake Pops


This entire season has baffled me....hire a not so winning coach, start Orton and replace him with Tebow, win the division with an 8-8 record and beat Pittsburgh in the first round of playoff games? Is it any surprise then that last night's game with decisions to keep the ball on the ground even through the 4th quarter while running plays that kept ball inbounds like they had all the time in the world was any less perplexing?  Even still, with a new coach and new QB, they gave us a more exciting season then most of us expected.  I say it was a good start to great things to come.

I do have to ask what on earth they feed those boys in New England.  They had to have 6 inches and 100 lbs on each Bronco.  It's probably pretty hard to defend against a receiver when you come up to his armpit. 

With the end of football season (in my mind) comes the end of all obnoxiously delightful brightly colored football food.  Not sure why I accept such crazy artificially colored foods during football season only, but it does seem essential.  Something about team spirit. 

We took this football season out with an orange and blue bang.  Sister made blue and orange brownies and cookies and I got a chance to try out my new cake pop molds....


I am not the most patient when it comes to molding individually sized foods which is why I love these molds I purchased from My Little Cupcake. I'd considered ordering them awhile back when it was just the cupcake shape but when I saw the additional molds, I snapped up a set for me and my sister. 

They make shaping cake pops so much easier.  My little cupcake site also had an idea to make the pops out of a homemade cookie dough that omits the raw eggs.  Yes please.  There was a recipe on My Little Cupcake's blog but I opted to just use the recipe on the back of the Nestle Tollhouse mini morsels bag and omit the eggs and add an extra 1/4 cup of flour.  If the recipe was good enough for Phoebe's grandmother....(if you get that Friends reference, we should knuckle bump here.)

Chocolate chip cookie dough was a little bit more difficult to mold in that the chips sometimes got caught in the crack as you were trying to close it, but aside from that, these molds were easy peasy and made the most perfectly shaped cupcakes and balls.  Yes, I can roll balls but not this perfectly spherical and even in size. 


Navy blue candy melts are not the easiest to find. I've never found anything but pastel blue from Wilton.  Make N Mold makes the navy blue and I've only found them at Hobby Lobby and even then they are most often sold out.  When I find them I do grab an extra bag or two as they are so intensely and perfectly navy blue.


When making the cupcakes you dip the bottom half first, add the stick and place upside down in an egg carton to let harden. 


Then you dip the top and add your sprinkles.  They really are that easy. 




This Game Day Eats posts needs more orange and blue food of course.

The blue candy melts are also pretty useful for making Bronco popcorn as well.  All you need is big bowl of kettle corn drizzled with about one cup of melted white chocolate.  Stir to coat, sprinkle with one cup of orange M&Ms or Reese Pieces, spread on baking sheet and drizzle with blue candy melts.

Yes, I picked out all of the orange M&Ms and Reese Pieces.  When I was back in Denver I could sometimes find bags of Broncos M&Ms but no such luck here.


Denver is moving back to their orange jerseys next year which has most of us old school fans pretty excited.  Maybe with the return of the orange jerseys we'll see a return of the Orange Crush.  Sadly they didn't crush much last night. 

BTW, have you had an Orange Crush soda recently?  I haven't had once in forever and seriously, wow.  I don't think that drinking a big glass of straight sugar would be as sweet as this.  It's all about Bronco party requirements though and Orange Crush is mandatory, if only to look at.


First Peanut, now Chipmunk.  We teach 'em young. 



Brooklyn took the loss the hardest. 


19 comments:

Lila said...

What a yucky game for sure!

I've wanted to buy the cupcake mold too and didn't realize there were other shapes. Will definitely need to pick some up now!

sophia said...

Aww poor Brooklyn! Nothing like the end of the football season. Hopefully my Ravens will come through. And love those molds. How cute. I might even try cake pops with a mold!

Anonymous said...

Love those molds especially the heart. How perfect for Valentine's day!

Sorry about the game. I was cheering for the Broncos too because I am so over hearing about Brady. Kind of like the Manning overexposure from years back.

Lila said...

I've been wanting to try and make cake pops too but they looked like so much work, especially the cupcakes with the molding with the cookout cutters and all, but these look easy!! Love the blue and orange ones even if those poor guys lost. They played their hearts out but you are right, New England is enormous!

Are you wearing #84? Shannon Sharpe? I was the biggest Sharpe fan and was so glad when he made it to the hall of fame this year!

Bronwyn said...

Those molds are a great way to include my nieces in the cake pop making and they would love the hearts. Thanks for the link. I've never seen these before today.
Sorry about the Broncos. My 9ers just barely came through themselves.

Lila said...

Cute, cute, cute and I LOVE the idea of making cookie dough without the eggs. I bet these are even better than cake pops. My kids love cookie dough so much though, we might not end up making many pops.

Lila said...

Love the popcorn and the cookie dough idea! I was sad to see Tebow loose. We are Chiefs household but we all respect an really like Tebow.

Lila said...

Chipmunk looks so cute in her Broncos cheerleading outfit. And much more conservative and classy! :) Love the theme party ideas!

Lila said...

The molds are sooooo cute and so are the cake pops! My daughter has been begging to make some and these look like a great way to let her make most of them herself! Love the popcorn too!

Lila said...

AWESOME!!!! i can't wait to try these with cookie dough!!!

Lila said...

I love those molds and I love the orange and blue treats! Wish the Broncos would have one on Saturday! :(

Lila said...

I've been looking for blue candy melts for our Chargers for forever and was resigned that they didn't exist. Good to know they do and looks like I"ll be picking ups some molds too!

Ellie said...

It was a crazy weekend for football all around! You all look so adorable in your Broncos gear. I miss the team parties and get togethers when football season is over almost as much as football.

Lila said...

sad sad day on Saturday but next year will be the year!

Boni MontaƱo said...

Those cupcake molds are adorable!

I cannot remember how I found your blog but I enjoy reading your posts! Thank you for sharing great recipes and fun ideas! I am from Denver too, well I still live here, and I loved your Broncos themed party.......there is always next year!

Lila said...

Adorable! I've asked my sister in law to whip some up for Monday's game because she loves stuff like this!

Haley Snell Handmade said...

I made the popcorn today for the game and it was gone before the rest of the food was put out! Super yummy thanks for the great idea!! Also I couldn't find blue melt able chocolate so I just separated all the blue and orange m&ms instead :)

KeikoasMom said...

I wish I'd found this recipe sooner, I'll just have to do orange, I guess.

Lila said...

I made the cake pops and I have to keep the whole family out of the fridge. Game Day food is hard to keep around here. I just love the eggless cookie dough recipe. It's actually quite dangerous.