Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fast and Easy Vietnamese-- Vietnamese Salad Rolls with Salmon


I have to admit that it's kind of fun cleaning out the pantry and freezer and using up ingredients.  Between cleaning and packing, I'm also making quite a dent in the kitchen stock.  Using on items on hand instead of shopping requires a bit of creativity.  I feel like Laura Ingalls.

A lot of salmon in the freezer, some rice vermicelli and rice paper, and it was a given that I needed to make Vietnamese summer rolls.  Or fresh spring rolls.  Or salad rolls.  Whatever you feel like calling them--they are one and the same. And for a salmon recipe I turned straight to one of my absolute favorite cookbooks: Salmon by Diane Morgan.  I'm definitely a fish eater and salmon is right up at the top of the favorite list.  An entire cookbook dedicated to just this, makes cooking salmon on the spur of the moment so easy.  I don't think there's a recipe in this cookbook I haven't loved.

Fresh spring rolls/salad rolls are about as easy as it comes.  While usually served as an appetizer, I think they make a perfect light dinner.  Like the pad thai from last week, they may require a trip to the asian grocer--not sure I've ever seen rice paper anywhere else.  They come packaged dry and require a quick 5-10 second soak in warm water before they are pliable enough to roll.  The elephant on the cover is just a bonus.

Rice vermicelli or bean thread noodles, require a slightly longer soak (20 mins).  They come in these 2 oz mini-packs all bundled together in packs of 8.  When I was a kid, I always begged my mom for the pink mesh bag they came in.  I don't know why except pink mesh is way cool.

Start off by getting these guys soaking in hot tap water.


 Make hoisin-peanut dipping sauce.


These can really be filled with any variety of veggies--just cut them long and narrow.  I used carrots and spinach because I need to put spinach in everything.  I personally think the cilantro sprigs make these rolls, but it is of course optional. That's the beauty of these.  The softened rice paper is almost invisible on the white plate--sorry should have used a colored one.  But it's there underneath the filling.  I promise.


Then you just roll them up spring roll style.  Or burrito style. (Roll one full roll over filling creating cylinder shape, fold sides in tight and continue rolling cylinder)  Ta-da.  That easy.


Vietnamese Salad Rolls with Salmon
adapted from Salmon by Diane Morgan

Salmon and marinade
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp fresh grated ginger
12 oz salmon

Hoisin-Peanut Dipping Sauce
2 tbsp chunky natural peanut butter, slightly warmed to soften
1/4 c. hoisin sauce
1/2 c. water (the recipe calls for 1/4 but I found the sauce too thick)
1 tbsp fish sauce (this is probably optional)
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)

Rolls
1 two oz package of rice vermicelli
8 round rice paper wrappers
1 carrot thinly sliced lengthwise
1 cup spinach cut into long slices
16 sprigs of cilantro

Directions:
Soak rice vermicelli in hot tap water (not boiling) for 20 mins.  Drain in colander
Combine marinade ingredients.  Place salmon in shallow dish and pour marinade over the top.  Turn several times and set aside for 20 minutes
Combine all of sauce ingredients, stir until well combined.  Set aside until ready to use
Set and oven rack about 4 inches from broiler and preheat broiler.  Remove salmon from marinade and broil until bronzed, about three minutes.  Turn over and cook 3-4 minutes on other side.  Cool
Slice salmon into long strips
To assemble rolls, have a large bowl of warm water and clean, dry linen towel ready. 
Dip one rice paper into warm water for 5-10 seconds, turning to wet both sides. Dry off excess water with linen towel and lay rice paper on plate (or linen towel)
Top with samll mound of noodles, spreading them horizontally
Place a piece of salmon, carrots, spinach and two cilantro sprigs on top of noodles.
Roll and then place onto platter and continue rolling remainder. 
Serve with dipping sauce



10 comments:

Lila said...

I always order these out and wondered what they are wrapped in. Thanks for sharing this recipe and the photos of the rice paper wrappers!

Funny comment on aging in your previous post!:)

Colleen said...

I'm fairly confident that Laura Ingalls never made Vietnamese Salad rolls... just sayin'. :)

These look amazing and you make them sound so easy too. Maybe I'll make them sometime.

Colleen said...

Oh.. and packing? Have you made a decision?

Lila said...

I have this cookbook and use it so much it's falling apart. Here in the northwest we can get some pretty ridiculous salmon.

This looks so lovely, I love that first shot!

Bronwyn said...

Yummy! I so love summer rolls. My local place makes them with fresh ahi and they are to die for. I never make them but now that I see how easy they are...

Anonymous said...

laura ingalls-ha ha! that is funny.

these look so yummy and beautiful photos as always.

Mary said...

Thanks!

Colleen--no decision yet but am heading out to Vegas tomorrow to see my sister. Just wanted to get the house "in order." :)

sophia said...

quite spectacular. love summer rolls!

Lila said...

Yummy! Beautiful photos!

Ellie said...

These are going on the menu this weekend! Can you substitute cooked chicken or shrimp?