Friday, December 6, 2013

Denver Bronco Whoopie Pies


I hate, hate, hate, white balance, especially on indoor photos using inside lighting.  I can never seem to master the color correction.  That's the number one reason natural lighting rocks if you ask me.  

With that off my chest....let's talk about orange cookies.  

Game day eats often means food coloring.  Ridiculous amounts of food coloring actually.  I ignore all my food coloring concerns when it comes to game day--football food really just needs to be in team colors right?

Chipmunk got into the baking spirit with us while we prepped for the Bronco's game.  Dad is working on his fake-out here.  I don't think he's ever baked in his entire life...but he did stand near the bakers long enough to help Chipmunk pick out blue and orange food coloring and find the football cookie cutters. 




I made a pretty basic vanilla whoopee pie.   The original plan was to make two batches--one orange, and one blue.  Naturally right?  I still know that blue and orange whoopie pies would have been perfect.

I lost steam after the orange batch.  But look how very Mile High, Orange Crush Magic it looks.



My brother asked to pipe some.  In my heart of hearts I knew better but I gave him the benefit of the doubt.  

It started off well enough. 


Starting to go awry.


And voila, brothers will always be brothers. 


Sisters on the other hand, are fantastic pipers.  My sister completed one of my 101s which is to make royal icing and frost up some cookies.  I hear it doesn't count for my goals if she made these cookies. 



Despite the impish sibling stuff, Chipmunk thinks the baking was quite successful.  



Denver Broncos Whoopie Pies

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butterButter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
about 1 tsp food gel food coloring
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
  2. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. 
  3. In medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. 
  4. In large mixing bowl beat the butter on high speed until creamy. Add in sugars and beat until light and fluffy. 
  5. Beat in the egg and mix well. 
  6. Combine vanilla,  buttermilk  and food coloring together in a measuring cup. 
  7. Beginning with flour mixture, add half flour mixture, half butter mixture to the sugar and egg mixture making sure to beat after each addition until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk.
  8. Spoon batter into a piping bag and pipe whoopie pies onto your cookie sheets. 
  9. You can also use a mini cookie scoop to create 1 inch mounds.  Allow at least an inch between cookies.
  10. Bake 7 to 9 minutes for 1-inch cookies or 9 to 11 minutes for 2-inch cookies, or until tops are set. Cool completely before filling. 
Marshmallow Cream Cheese Filling

1 8 oz block of softened cream cheese
1/2 cup marshmallow fuff
2 1/3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
  1. Beat cream cheese on high speed for 30 seconds. Add in marshmallow fluff and vanilla, and beat for another 30 seconds until combined.
  2. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar until until well combined.
  3. Use a piping bag and top bottom side of one cookie with about 1 tsp of filling.  Top with bottom of second cookie.  

7 comments:

Lila said...

I really just love whoopee pies. My mom makes a chocolate devils food one with the marshmallow filling and it is so scrumptious. I love the idea of making these in team colors!

Lila said...

Of course the food needs to be orange and blue! Go Broncos!

Lila said...

Of course the food needs to be orange and blue! Go Broncos!

Lila said...

Of course the food needs to be orange and blue! Go Broncos!

Lila said...

My mom always made whoopie pies every year and we'd dip the edges in sprinkles so they'd stick to the filling. It would be fun to do that with team colored sprinkles too!

atvmtngirl said...

It looks like you had a great time baking with family!

Lila said...

my brother would do the same exact thing.