Friday, December 27, 2013

Sea Salt Caramel Krispies


I have a confession.  A friend was in Seattle and he brought me back a box of Fran's Grey Salt Caramels and I didn't share.  I'm usually an extremely good sharer especially when it comes to sweets and chocolates, but I hid my box of Fran's in my desk and didn't offer up a single one to anybody.  

Salt caramels are a serious thing especially when covered in dark chocolate.  And even though making them is easy enough, Fran's caramels are magic.

The other thing that is magical in my opinion, is anything covered in melted marshmallow.  I'm not picky..rice krispies, corn flakes, buttered popcorn...it's all good.  Then I got to thinking about what would happen if these two magical items were combined.  Only good can come from that right?

No recipe required--this one's as easy as the pictures make them look. 


The basic recipe is the rice krispies treat we all know, but I started off by browning the 4 tbsp butter first. Browned butter is just good eats. 


Add one 10oz bag of mini marshmallows, 2/3 cup of caramel and 1/4 tsp salt and stir to melt marshmallows. I used a homemade one from a previous recipe but any good caramel will work.  (Does that "good caramel" make me sound like the Barefoot Contessa? I do get her point about using "good" stuff.) 

Once marshmallows are melted, remove from heat.

Stir in 7 cups of rice krispies and mix well.


Press into buttered 9x13 and let cool while you prepare the chocolate topping. 

In a bowl add one 12oz bag semisweet chocolate and one tsp shortening. Melt in microwave in 20-30 second intervals, stirring well each time until all chocolate chips are fulling melted. 

Pour over rice krispies.  Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt.


Cut into bars and enjoy!



7 comments:

Lila said...

I've loved Fran's ever since My husband and I's first trip to Seattle 6 years ago. We bought a box based on a bloggers recommendation, ate the whole box and headed back. My husband likes the smoked salt milk chocolates and I like the gray salt dark. They are solo yummy and I bet these are too. Rice crispys and salt caramels and chocolate? Yes please!

Anonymous said...

Rice Krispys are a christmas tradition and it's even better that they are so easy to make! These look just as easy but with so much fun! I have some caramel sauce in my fridge now. I know what I"m making for movie night this week!

Lila said...

Three words: To Die For.

Unknown said...

Just received a box of Fran's caramels for Christmas! No sharing :)

Lila said...

I never thought to brown the butter or add any other flavors and now I think I'm in love with this. Going to try it right away!

Melody said...

yum! my mom sent me a box of Enstroms and I opened it in the privacy of my room with no one else around because I didn't /don't want to share it - we're all secret hoarders about something :)

Lila said...

It's okay to never share chocolate, or that's the motto I live by. These look like something I'd make and probably, maybe, might share. :)