I love the smell of a big pot of meatballs simmering away on the stove but have to say it's not something I make often. First there's that I don't actually like beef, so I usually only make it for company. Secondly, rolling and browning all of those meatballs--what a mess. Fo sho. But sometimes you crave something a little hearty and warm for a cold snowy night..enter Lazy Girl's Spaghetti and Meatballs.
If there's no one around but me, I'm going all ground chicken or turkey, both of which make incredibly flavorful meatballs if you season, season, season. I personally think it's all about the cheese and garlic.
To keep it lazy, once all the ingredient's are mushed together, I use a cookie scoop, place them on a baking tray and just pop them in the oven for 25 mins at 375 degrees.
Look at that contained grease mess. No grease all over the stove tops and counters. Love that.
Toss meatballs with favorite tomato sauce and simmer on medium. Meanwhile, cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds, add a few tsps of water to the center of each half and pop in the microwave for 10 mins or until tender.
Use fork to separate "spaghetti" strands of squash and top with meatballs and sauce. Sometimes, lazy is just so much better.
Spaghetti Squash and Chicken Meatballs
- 1 1/3 lbs ground chicken
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 lb spaghetti squash
- 5 cups of a favorite tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine ground chicken, bread crumbs, garlic, garlic powder, basil, Parmesan, egg, salt, and pepper.
- Combine gently with a fork.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- With a cookie scoop, drop 1 to 1 1/4-inch meatballs onto sheet pan. You should have about 40 meatballs.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until cooked through and lightly browned.
- Prepare(or warm up) tomato sauce
- Add meatballs and sauce to a medium pan and cook for 10 mins on medium heat while spaghetti squash cooks.
- Split spaghetti squash lengthwise, add a few tsps of water to the center well in each and microwave on high for 10 mins or until tender.
- Separate squash strands with fork. Top with meatballs and sauce. Serve with additional parmesan cheese.