Sunday, August 18, 2013

Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie


For some reason, the thought of making pies seems like so much work.  This particular recipe has a few steps and a bit of waiting and cooling between crust prep and filling layers. This is definitely not a recipe you can throw together at the last minute--it took about 4 hours end-to-end.  Don't let that scare you though because each step is easy-peasy and the result is well worth it.  It has all of the creaminess of coconut cream pie but with the added fabulousness that is chocolate ganache. 

Chocolate ganache belongs in everything.  The End. 




Seriously, sometimes I just can't handle all of the cuteness radiating from this one.  


Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie

Ingredients

Crust:
1 pkg chocolate wafer cookies, broken into pieces
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Chocolate Ganache:
6 oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), cut into small pieces
1/3 cup heavy cream
pinch of salt

Coconut Cream:
1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
2 3/4 cups milk (I used whole milk)
4 large egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla extract
Topping:
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Chocolate syrup for drizzling

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. 
  2. In a food processor, combine cookies and salt; process until fine crumbs form. 
  3. With machine running, slowly pour butter through feed tube and process until mixture resembles wet sand. 
  4. Press crumbs in bottom and up side of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Bake until crust is set, about 20 minutes. Remove and let cool completely
  5. Combine ganache ingredients in a small saucepan over med-low heat and whisk until chocolate begins to melt.  Remove from heat and continue whisking until chocolate is fully melted.  Pour into cooled pie shell, spread up the sides of the crust a bit and then refrigerate for 1 hour. 
  6. In a medium heavy bottom saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, milk, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and salt over medium heat. While whisking constantly, cook until bubbles form at the edge and mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.  Stir in coconut. 
  7. Pour filling into cooled crust and smooth top. Lay plastic wrap over filling to prevent skin from forming and refrigerate until filling is chilled and completely set, about 2-3 hours.
  8. To serve, whip cream until soft peaks form. Top pie with whipped cream and drizzled chocolate syrup.  Chocolate shavings and/or toasted coconut would also be fantastic. 

7 comments:

Ellie said...

Wow!! Really, really crazy delicious looking. This may be one of my favorite pictures you've ever posted because I can almost taste this just by looking at the pix! :)

Lila said...

MMMMMMmmmmmm. I baked a chocolate cookie pie a couple of weeks ago and my kids couldn't even wait for it to cool. They really like coconut too so I think I'll try this one and surprise them after their first week back at school. This recipe looks divine!

Lila said...

You are trying to make me fat right? :) This recipe has both chocolate and coconut, my two favorite things! I can't wait to try this!

Lila said...

Your boston is adorable, I just love there faces! The pie looks really good too!

Lila said...

I made this without the coconut in the pudding *just on top* and it was soooooo good. My husband has already requested it agaiin. Thanks for sharing this!

Ellie said...

My kids hate coconut so this might be the perfect dessert to make for my husband and I since they will reject it. What kind of mom would I be if I don't make them eat fruit while I dine on delicious pie? ;)

Lila said...

I made this for church this weekend and it was so delicious! Thanks!