Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cookbook #62 Barefoot Contessa At Home and Guacamole Salad

Is it cheating to keep going back to one of your favorite recipes in a cookbook?  One of the down sides of having so many cookbooks is that there's a bit of guilt that comes with making the same recipe in a cookbook when there's so many new ones to try.  But still, Barefoot Contessa's Guacomole Salad is one of those that deserves revisiting often.

This cookbook needs no introductions. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've highlighted a couple of recipes from this book on the blog, but never officially checked it off as "complete" in plan to make something from each cookbook. That must make this the official cookbook post.

The recipe is almost perfect, a perfect mix of crisp and creamy, tart and tangy and light but still filling. The first time I made it, there was a bit too much lime for my taste, so I just used the one lime this time and omitted the yellow bell pepper because I didn't have any.  Sad. I bet yellow bell pepper is fabulous in this. Oh yeah, no grape tomatoes either.  But that's the beauty of salad.  You mix up the ingredients if you have to.




Guacamole Salad
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa At Home

Ingredients:

1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup small diced red onion
2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers, seeded (2 peppers)
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
Juice of one lime
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled, and 1/2-inch diced

Directions:
Place the tomatoes, yellow pepper, black beans, red onion, jalapeno peppers, and lime zest in a large bowl. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper and pour over the vegetables. Toss well.

Just before you're ready to serve the salad, fold the avocados into the salad. Check the seasoning and serve at room temperature.

17 comments:

Liz said...

This looks great to take to work. I have several cans of black beans and not a clue what to do with them so this will be a great pantry buster too.

Leslie said...

yum...looks so simple and fresh

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites! thanks for sharing the recipe mare.

kath

Maria said...

I love this recipe!

Colleen said...

This reminds me a little of Leslie's wacka wacka. I'm feeling the need to buy avocados. Yum.

Colleen said...

Hey, Mary... I just realized that you listed me as one of your "peeps." Thanks! It's good to have peeps like you!

rosasdolcevita said...

Thanks to you, I got my first Ina book ... and I LOVE IT! So thank you!

Your salad looks gorgeous!

Brown Family Blog said...

Ok I was about to write a comment on your previous post when I saw the picture on this one and just couldnt wait to read this entry! Oh my that looks absolutely delicious and I do believe that will be going on our menu for the week. What would you suggest would go well with it in a meal?

test it comm said...

That is one nice looking salad!

sophia said...

Oh wow. Just saw this recipe. Yum. Trying this one too.

Bronwyn said...

Where has this recipe been hiding? I obviously haven't looked through all of your past recipe posts...

Can't wait to try this one this weekend!

Lila said...

I finally made this one and it was my boy's favorite recipe in a long time and so easy! thanks for sharing!

sophia said...

I found this in a search on Tastespotting and came right over to check it out. Made this last night and my husband raved. It was so delicous but guacamole you can eat can't be bad. I'll need to pick up the entire cookbook. Thanks!

Lila said...

OMG--this one is going on the menu this weekend for sure! Funny thing is I think I have this cookbook...oops. :)

Debbie said...

THIS IS FABULOUS!!! I SERVE THIS WITH NACHOS AND I NEVER HAVE ANY LEFT OVER!!!! EVERYONE THAT HAS TASTED IT LOVES IT. I JUST TOOK IT TO A FRIENDS LAST NIGHT AND HAD TO SEND THE RECIPE TO EVERYONE.

Mary said...

Thanks Debbie--I love to hear that it worked out. It's one of my favorite recipes and I bet is fabulous with Nachos. I think that's the one way I haven't tried it. Cheers!

Unknown said...

My wife and I love this recipe!! So good, I just blogged about it and gave you full credit as the source. I could eat this everyday! We've even tried it on tacos instead of using lettuce, cheese or tomatoes.