Sunday, September 2, 2012

Bears in the Alaskan Wild


This may be my heaviest photo post yet but when you go on a once-in-a-lifetime Alaska Bear Adventure and take hundreds of photos, how do you choose your favorites?

We've had some pretty rainy cold weather my entire stay here which has put a bit of a damper on planned activities like hiking and glacier cruises and sea life viewing.  Since the Bear Adventure was already locked in and paid for, we made the 4 hour drive to Homer in the rain.  We awoke early the next day for our 7:30 start time only to see the rain was still coming steadily down.  Sad. When we arrived though we were a bit encouraged to hear that it was supposed to be much nicer in Katmai where we were headed.
    

First we had to gear up.  Hip waders are more fun than you'd imagine.  You can walk right through mud and across streams without worry.  



We had a 1.5 hour flight out to Katmai National Park in a Cessna.  Once we were above the clouds and  past the rainy peninsula, the views were outstanding. 


Homer Spit




Initial views of the mountains and glaciers of Katmai National Park.






First bear viewing from the plane


Landing at Katmai 



Our guide Michael walked us right up to within 20 yards of this mama bear and cubs.  I kept expecting him to stop but he didn't until we were seated right across the stream from them.  While there were moments of initial hesitation on my part, none of the bears really even seemed to take notice of us.  This mama bear even came within 20 feet of us when she was chasing a salmon and still pretty much ignored us.  

Michael was thorough in explaining bear behavior and instructing us on when to remain single file, when to kneel and when to tighten up as a group and why it was important.


Mama's baby cubs--I named them Lucy and Linus.  They were absolutely darling of course and watching them interact with each other and mama bear in their natural environment was truly one of those experiences you don't forget.  Linus was assertive and grabbed the salmon while poor Lucy chased after him whining and begging for some.  I'm pretty sure she even told on him at one point. 


Mama bear found a salmon.  We watched all of these bears dawdle and mosey along slower than molasses so it truly is a surprising thing when one suddenly charges across the stream at lightening speed...seemingly at you.  After a quick skip of a heartbeat, we saw she was actually fishing.  


She was so fast she caught two...one in her mouth and one under her front paws. 




We were close enough to hear the surprisingly loud cracking and crunching of salmon bones (who knew they had such loud ones) and see what appears to be guts flying out of the fish.  It was kind of cool to see the full size photo and realize they are actually salmon eggs.



Salmon sushi





We saw these two huge guys playing together later on in the morning.  Mama bear kept far away from them.  





This was such an unbelievable experience--we ended up seeing 7 bears altogether.  We absolutely felt safe surrounded by these giants and the pictures don't truly do justice to the experience of watching bears living and interacting in the wild.  I'd plan another entire trip here just to do it again.  

20 comments:

Lila said...

OMG that's serious bear viewing! They look pretty cute until I think of what they can do. I'm sure that's not a trip quickly forgotten.

Lila said...

That looks like such a cool vacation! Maybe we should give up our annual Florida trip to see the bears, or maybe we could just visit them in the zoo. I'm not sure I'd have the nerves for that but it is very cool!

Lila said...

So my husband really wants to do this now. We are planning a trip to Alaska next spring so looks like we'll be heading out to visit the bears as well. It does sound amazing but not sure how I feel about being so close. Looks like you are really close!

Colleen said...

That looks pretty much AMAZING! I'm thinking that I should put that on my list of things to do.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!! I would do this in a heartbeat but not sure I could convince my husband Looks thrilling!

Lila said...

This is too rad! My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to AK next year sometime and was thinking of going to see Mt. McKinley. I think we'll add this to our "to do" list for sure! Love the baby cub pictures!

Lila said...

I can hardly believe they let people get up so close with these animals especially considering what happened to the hiker in Denali last week. But still you all look safe and the bears look so cute and almost harmless. :)

Lila said...

Love all of these photos! What a super experience that must have been. We lived in Alaska for 24 months when my husband was stationed there but we never did anything like this. I am wishing we had.

sophia said...

The airplane looks scarier than the bears but I've never been able to get on a small airplane. I have a hard enough time with big ones. Looks like a great time though!

Lila said...

This looks like my mans dream trip. Would you tell me which guide company you used so I can look at this for a christmas gift? thank you and great pictures!

Monica said...

Great pics Mare! Looks like fun, and the bears are so adorable!

Bonjour! said...

,,,guts?! nah...that's the wonderful stuff called "caviar"--smile. what an adventure! no need to ask; "was fun had?" it's written all over your face, your friend's face and the bears faces! cheers to more than "sarah palin" in alaska,,,

Leslie said...

oh my goodness...that is crazy!!! Didn't a hiker or two just get eaten by bears in alaska?

Lila said...

Wow this looks unbelieveable! I definately want to try this someday. Im adding it to my buckit list!

Mary said...

Yes, just the weekend before I left. :( But our bear guides were awesome and we didn't feel threatened ever.

Mary said...

So glad to see you are back online! Missed you!

Mary said...

The airplane was the scariest part to tell the truth. That and the tall brush where snakes could pop out anywhere...even if reptiles don't live in Alaska. :)

Mary said...

Good to see you back online too! Are you back to blogging too? Can't wait to see what you've been up to!

Lila said...

Wow this looks like an AMAZING trip! I would do this in a heartbeat if I didn't have kids to worry about. Wow, wow, wow!!!

Lila said...

YOLO so cool! I think my boyfriend would love a birthday present like this. Thanks for the great idea!