Sunday, September 7, 2014

Lazy Sunday Mornings in Lucca


There's just so much to see and do in here that I'm constantly seeking out new places to visit.  Somewhere in all these towns and places visited, I've neglected posting about Lucca more--the one place I spend at least part of every day.  After a pretty busy week that included a wine festival and finally hiking Cinque Terre, I opted for another lazy Sunday morning in Lucca.  It's the kind of town that is made for lazy Sunday mornings.  

Of course, my favorite time in Lucca is early morning...I love to bike on the wall early before the crowds are up and then walk through town as the cafes begin to open.  



This little one is la bicicletta that gets me to and fro.  I've become a good friends with her despite the fact that she doesn't have gears and makes me stand up to pedal up hills.  Do you remember summertime bike races and pedaling while standing up as a kid?  It was much easier as a child for sure.


And this is Lucca's famous wall.  I think I mentioned in a former post that Lucca's old town/center is completely encircled by a wall.  It's not just any wall either, this one's a super wide wall with parks, picnic areas, tables, benches and a big biking/walking path.  It's really more of a town park than just a regular 'ole 4km long wall. 


Any time of the day you can find runners, walkers and bicyclists up here.  Lucca has bike rental places galore which makes this popular with locals and tourists.   I will say that I still struggle with the lack of rules when it comes to walking here...there is no walk on the right--pass on the left, or take only half of the walkway, or any other rules.  If there's a crowd of 5 people walking together, they will walk 5 people across and will not necessarily move for you or your bicycle.  Aside from relearning the art of pedaling while standing, I'm still working on the craft of balancing on a bike while traveling 0 miles per hour, waiting for a gap in the path.   Interestingly though, once you are on the street with your bike, you suddenly have a bit more clout--I still hesitate in traffic circles wondering if that ginormous delivery truck really is going to stop and yield to the bike already in the traffic circle and so far they have.  Lucky for me. 


Obviously the views from the wall as you are circling the city are pretty fun....Cattedrale di San Martino from the back.  

Learning to ride la biciclette in a dress or skirt is essential in Italy. Check.  I didn't bring heels or I'd try that next.




The third weekend of each month, Lucca hosts the second oldest flea market. I was able to visit a few Sundays ago after my morning bike ride around the wall--it really draws a crowd.


This morning there was a small craft fair near Piazza St. Michele and, well, another little event. 

I've often thought that being here sometimes feels a bit like being in a WWII film as the buildings and countryside are timeless.  In light of having this thought rather frequently, you can imagine my surprise and millisecond of panic when I  walked around a large crowd of people and saw this...



This week was the anniversary of the Lucca's Liberation during WWII.   As you already know, Italy formed part of the Axis during WWII but this resulted in a civil war within Italy ending in Mussolini being deposed by his people.  The Nazis and Mussolini's remaining supporters/troops were obviously not thrilled about this turn of events and fought hard to retain Italy.  Sept 5th marks the anniversary of the day that the Allies entered Lucca.  

My WWI and WWII knowledge is a bit lacking and so I learned something new today.  Sadly, during WWI and WWII, the US segregated military divisions.  The 92nd Infantry Division (Buffalo Soldiers) was one of the African American units--one of the few that saw combat action during WWII.  It was this unit, fighting with Allied forces and the Italian Resistance, that liberated Lucca.  It was pretty awesome to be able to view this living memorial in person.  










After a little biking, walking and history lesson, Piazza Napoleone is the perfect place to sit with a cappuccino and pastry and take notes from passersby on how to ride a bike gracefully and effortlessly in a skirt.  As you can see, it does not involve standing and pedaling full speed ahead like a 6 year old boy. 




16 comments:

Lila said...

It really looks like you took a step back in time to photograph those trucks and military vehicles and people. And can I tell you how much I love the bicycle photos especially the ones in front of the building. I would buy one of those to hand in my kitchen, they are so beautiful!

Lila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lila said...

Sorry I didn't mean to post twice, I just hit the button and nothing happened so hit it again. It was acting kind of weird but I deleted one.

Lila said...

I am thinking I would like very much to spend a Sunday in Lucca drinking a capuchino, riding a bike around the walls and walking through town. I agree, the photos with the bike are especially spectacular!

sophia said...

I learned something new about WW2 from you too! It's hard to believe in today's age that this happened but love the history. I bet if you applied an aging filter, some of these would look like they were taken in the 1940s. I really love the photo of the croissant at the cafe. It seems like the perfect way to spend a day.

Melody said...

Very cool seeing the anniversary celebration! Lucca is lovely...I think Brooklyn's sibling should be named Lucca ;). The Broncos are stressing me out right now!!

Leslie said...

helllllooo gorgeous Italian man, up a few pictures on the right. :o)

you seem to be taking to the casual life well. how could you not? it is amazing there.

D. R. said...

What a wonderful simplicity in life. It's great to see la biciclette. Slow pace and intimacy in your travel. Love the humor. Great post. Dave

Lila said...

I had to look up Lucca after your posts about it and am adding it to my trip with my mom that we are planning. I showed her your blog and she's been taking notes about places too. Thanks for posting all these pictures, it really helps us think through and plan what we want to see.

Lila said...

I don't travel much but if I did, I want to go to the places you show. Your pictures are so pretty and peaceful. I don't ever comment but I want to say thank you for your history stuff in this article and what you wrote. My great grandpappy was a Buffalo solider and it seems they are always forgotten. It was nice to read this and nice to know that his life and contributions and all friends are still appreciated.

Lila said...

I am so jealous because sitting in a cafe with a croissant and cappuccino sounds so much better than in my kitchen trying to prepare myself to clean the house. I love the history stories tied into your postings. Please keep them coming!

Lila said...

My hubs and I spent 2 days in Lucca on our honeymoon and it wasn't enough. It was such a lovely break from the crazy crowds of Florence and Pisa, and just so relaxing and pretty. We enjoyed the Puccini museum and the Puccini concerts both nights we were there. They had Puccini and Mozart one night which was our favorite. We can't wait to get back to Lucca someday.

Lila said...

We are going to Lucca in a just a few weeks! We are going to Tuscany for our 20th anniversary and are going to drive all around. I've hears so many good things about Lucca and seeing your pictures makes me excited to get there.

Lila said...

Hysterical to imagine you riding in a dress standing up but actually not hard to imagine, crazy girl. Lucca looks absolutely lovely and it looks like you are having the time of your life!

Bronwyn said...

I love the WW2 stories and photos and think Lucca looks like just the place I want to spend some time very soon! I want to frame and hang the bike photos!

Lila said...

What a wonderful trip down memory lane is all of these stories and pictures you've posted. We loved Lucca, its one of our favorite towns in Italy. It's just more peaceful and laid back yet amazingly beautiful. We also really love the cecina (?) chick pea pizza we had there. I dream about that stuff.