Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Venezia


Happy 1st birthday to this sweet little man, my favoritest nephew in the whole world.  I was lucky enough to see him dumping oatmeal on his head on this very special 1st birthday.  


Where does time go?  My dad FaceTimed (new verb) me today to let me know it's been 9 days since I last posted and to ensure I was still alive.  Thanks Dad.  Who knows where time goes?   I skipped out on class (which still feels both good and wrong after all these years) and headed out for a long weekend in Venice.  You know normal stuff.  How will I cope with life when I go back to saying real  things like "This weekend?  I'm going to Target and then Home Depot."?

I love Venice.  I think it's quite magical despite the crowds.  I am convinced however, that Venice does not return my affection, either that or she's just a little bitchy and temperamental.  Perhaps that's part of her mysterious charm.

Both times I've been to Venice, she's rained.  I know, water, canals, rain--probably normal.  I've been watching the weather though and she's been pretty sunny until I arrived.  She was forecasted to be sunny this past weekend but decided instead to be a wet, rainy, cold mess.  

And both times I've been to Venice, I've run into the infamous train strike and had to scramble to get back. This time it was 5 train changes, and hours of waiting on different trains to see if it would go, or if it would be cancelled as part of the strike.  I've never been so glad to have spent the time learning some Italian.  

Despite all this, Venice is forgiven, because, well, look at her. I love the colors of this building but I really loved listening the little girl in the upper balcony instruct her friend/brother below how and where to scooter. 




And oh yes, the vaparetto.  I think I've learned some of the art of maneuvering for a somewhat decent seat on the crazy, overcrowded, who-is-that-touching-my-ass-and-I-really-don't-want-to-be-touching-this-man's-ass-with-my-face-in-this-person's-armpit, water bus system in Venice.   I actually really like the vaporetto if you can get a seat or a view and I figured out that it just takes a little more walking to the right stop and a little bit of patience. 

Most tourists will jump on the Line 1 or 2 down to St. Mark's square because Rick Steves and all the of the guide books say to.    If you are jumping on 1 or 2 from near the train station, walk up to Piazzale Roma which is just one stop up from Ferrovia (train station)--this will allow you to get on before the large masses that are lined up at Ferrovia.   I actually preferred riding any line that went out to Lido which is an island about 10 minutes past the St. Mark's stop. Some of the vaporettos that go out to Lido will go around the outside of Venice which is a great way to see Venice from the open waters, minus any crowds.  Once at Lido, getting a seat on Line 1 back up the Grand Canal was pretty easy--I was able to get a front seat with a wonderful open-air view each time.  Once that vaporetto makes it back up to St. Mark's, it's standing room only again.   You can of course also just jump on Line 1 and ride it out to Lido and then snag a seat up front for the ride back as the masses disembark at St. Mark's or Lido.  





I'm guessing that in Venice, children learn pretty quickly that having a fit and throwing your toys doesn't work out well. 


True to form, I was in St. Mark's at 7:00am before the crowds to grab a few photos.  Can you believe this is the same place that will be a mob scene in just a few hours?


While the rain isn't that fun for siteseeing, it does look quite peaceful here doesn't it? 


I don't remember where this was taken but there was not a person to be seen.  Definitely wander off the crowded paths.



It goes without saying that there are some pretty good eats in Venice.  L'Osteria di S. Marina was a recommendation from a friend and it didn't disappoint.  I did spend a good 1.5 hours of vaporetto rides and leisurely meandering with a map to find this restaurant.  On my last day in Venice, after checking out, I wandered to the left from the hotel since I had a few hours before my train.  I ran into the restaurant 7 minutes later.  Seriously, Venice defies all logic.  


Yes, little cutie stuffed calamari.  



How cool is she?  Next time I go to Venice I want to stay on the grand canal and sit in the window and read like her.  She is my hero.


I vaporetto stalked this man because he had a plaid umbrella and kept walking by such lovely backgrounds.  Line 1 is a definitely a great siteseeing vaporetto to take--it is slow because it stops at every stop.  It's perfect for vaporetto stalking people. 


Here we are a few stops up the line.






And of course, Venice at night--I think this is where she really shines.  When you see her lights twinkling and reflecting off the canals, you know that in the end, she can do no real wrong.  Did I mention that I love this city?









13 comments:

sophia said...

Wow. Can I just say that the more time you spend with taking photos in Venice, the better they are. You had gorgeous photos before but these are a step above gorgeous whatever that is. I love the night photos but I especially love the black and whites and the man with the umbrella. Okay I love the girl reading too. They are all so beautiful!

Lila said...

Okay I was worried too but glad to see you are just off living the life.

I love the photo of the girl in the window and really like the doll too. The red building is probably my favorite. Amazing!

Lila said...

We got back from Venice this past spring and I have over a thousand pictures. These are so wonderful and show that photography is more than the camera or even knowing how to use it. You have a great eye for capturing photos I didn't even look for like the people walking or the girl sitting in the window. I love all of these and that dinner looks delish!

Lila said...

Ha, ha, I'm going to Target. I think I said that last week. I'm sure you'll miss Italy but you have all of these amazing pictures to remind you. I love the vibrant colors in Venice.

Lila said...

Okay I knew Venice was gorgeous but wow! I love all of these including the doll in the water. It's almost heartbreaking! Looks like you had a great time and will be sad to come back.

Lila said...

Venice and the food looks AHHH-MA-ZZZING! I love Venice too and we got lost all the time. We once saw a store we wanted to go to but decided to walk down the street a bit for lunch and then it took us 2 hours to find that store again but it was still fun to do. I hated the vaparettos for the reasons you mention about them being so crowded that you are pressed up against people but good to know that we should get on earlier or ride longer. We got on at the train station and St. Marks of course the two busiest places. Love this post!

Lila said...

I love that you stalked that poor man! :) The food looks amazing though my husband asked where the bistecca was and I wondered where the tirimisu was. I love these, very well done!

Lila said...

Oh he is adorable, happy birthday cutie boy! 1st birthdays come and go so quickly, it seems like my sons was just awhile ago but he's 10 now. venice is on my dream list because it does seem like a magical place like you say and these pictures just convince me more. someday i can dream.

Lila said...

We got to Venice very 2 or 3 years. It would be every year if it was up to me but my husband says we need to throw in other places and new places too. I love just riding on the water and I'm a sucker for those expensive gondola rides too but luckily it's only every so often. Your pics capture what I love about venice perfectly.

Lila said...

These are such lovely photos and make me want to jump on a plane right now for Venice. I love the black and white pictures especially you've really captured the spirit and beauty of venice with these.

Lila said...

We were in Venice two years ago and we got lost at every turn. I swear we walked in circles and like you we'd take the vaperetto somewhere only to find that place on foot just a few minutes away. I love Venice still for that very reason, it's beautiful but unpredictable.

Lila said...

The photo of the calamari is so beautiful. That feels like kind of a weird thing to say about calamari but wow! I love all of the photos. We love Venice too!

Lila said...

Wow, stunning. I wish I had your eye. My little point and shoot pictures don't look anything like these. Why is that? :) I love them all.