Friday, September 23, 2011

Homemade Butterfinger Bars


These are outrageous.  As in, I couldn't believe it was true so I had to try it, outrageous.  Candy corn.  You know the stuff--the sickeningly sweet holiday treat that tons of people must adore judging by the sheer volume that is in stores each year.  I'm pretty indifferent in the "candy corn or no candy corn?" debates that happen but when I saw this recipe, I bought a bag because you have to try right?


I saw this on Pinterest btw, and I might just change my blog name to "Chasing all Things Pinterest," because that  about sums up my life these days.  I have recipes lined up, outfits to buy, and even a grown up Barbie Dream House to decorate with the ideas found on Pinterest.  Love it despite its ability to make me feel uncreative and completely inadequate in all areas.  That's just motivation right?  To give credit where credit is due, here's the pin linking back to the original recipe.

So for these homemade butterfinger bars, you melt 1 lb of candy corn.  Seriously.  Who is the first person who thought that melting candy corn would be a good idea?  Melt it too long and the sugar becomes a little stiff.  I melted in 15 second bursts in the microwave and it still went from solid candy corn to melted orange goo in a blink of an eye.  Bright orange goo. Mine was a bit stiff, but I threw the 1 lb of Peanut Butter in, mixed as well as I could, and microwaved for an additional 15 seconds.


Eventually it all stirs together and you press into an 8inch square pan lined with parchment or wax paper.  Let cool. 


The recipe calls for dipping in chocolate bark.  I opted for real dark chocolate and there was no dipping involved, only spreading.  20 seconds to spread vs all that dipping.  And since these are homemade, don't you want them to say "homemade" and not look just like the store bought kind?  :) 

I thought these tasted just like a Butterfinger, but truth be told, I don't think I've had a Butterfinger anytime in the last decade.  I read a review that said that while the taste was spot on, the texture was slightly off--a bit chewy and not crunchy. As it turns out, I left mine in the fridge, and maybe because I zapped the candy corn longer than I should have(or maybe not), or probably just because they were cold, these turned out pretty crispy crumbly.  Pretty crazy I tell you. Candy corn.  Really.  Who thinks of these things?!?!


14 comments:

Lila said...

OMG! I can't believe this...crazy! And how could you not have had one in so long. I am a butterfinger addict for sure. My husband has stopped bying them because I eat them all.

Mariel said...

Wow, this is great! It would never have occurred me to melt candy corn. I definitely wanna try making this!...although, I don't know if they still sell candy corn in the candy stores here in Ecuador :S

Bronwyn said...

These are my husband's absolute favorite candy bars. I might win wife of the year with these.

Just like my aversion to facebook, I might also be the only person not on pinterest. It scares me to think of how much time i could spend on there from what I've seen of it.

sophia said...

have to admit to candy corn being a guilty pleasure. and these look to die for. people are so clever!

Lila said...

pinterest is crazy addictive. I saw these on there once and wondered if it could possibly be true. they are crazy and my family loves butterfingers so they might be on the table for this weekend.

Lila said...

I love interest too and I almost pinned these myself but I thought NO WAY would they ever work. Good to had because I think these might be a huge hit. Love the idea of eating them frozen anyway!

Lila said...

No way! I agree, who thinks of these things? But since the did, I am definitely taking advantage. My kids will think I'm just so cool. What every mother needs. :)

Anonymous said...

I just bought candy corn yesterday and we always have pb. Will give this a try tomorrow with the kids! Fun.

Bonjour! said...

,,,i echo @ jen's comments "pinterest is crazy addictive",,,wish i liked candy corn and butterfingers, maybe in my case it's BEST i don't!,,,hip, hip for the first days of autumn!,,,

Lila said...

yippee skippy for these. can't wait to try them!

Anonymous said...

I knew candy corn had to have some purpose. :) This is a very fine purpose.

Jeremy

Lila said...

OK tried these immediately. OMG! And you are correct, they are better frozen. So good, they are gone, but we did have company over last night so I feel better about them going so quickly. I'm not on pinterest so thanks for sharing!

Ellie said...

My 7 year old daughter made these and now she's a kitchen genius. I can't keep her out of the kitchen. We should encourage it I suppose! :)

Monica said...

YUM! Thanks for sharing! Everyone loved them!