Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pumpkin Mochi


Pumpkin mochi is probably pretty far from traditional Thanksgiving food, but in a country that celebrates being a melting pot of diversity, it only seems appropriate to throw in a more ethnic recipe for a national holiday such as Thanksgiving. My mom always made the full turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy Thanksgiving dinner each year and right there next to the corn casserole was always a big platter of her oft requested spring rolls. We grew up thinking they were supposed to be served at each holiday meal.  My BIL requested that my sister make spring rolls this year because it just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without them and I would have to agree.  

All that to say that a little less than traditional item is a fun thing to throw onto the Thanksgiving table.   Mochi might  never replace pumpkin pie, but is a great additional dessert to set next to the pumpkin pie. The butter and milk add an ultra creaminess to the chewy mochi.

And just like the chocolate coconut mochi I made last month, pumpkin mochi is super easy and quick to throw together.  



Pumpkin Mochi

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups glutinous rice flour (Mochiko brand or other)
1 tsp baking powder


1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon

1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
7oz (usually half of a can) sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs well beaten

1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 c sugar1 tsp vanilla extract

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter an 8x8 in pan
  2. In a medium bowl whisk mochiko flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon.
  3. In a large bowl whisk pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, butter, eggs, sugar and vanilla.  Stir in dry ingredients.
  4. Pour into prepared pan and tap on counter to release air bubbles.
  5. Bake one hour. Remove from oven cool completely before cutting.  Store in refrigerator.


14 comments:

Lila said...

My mom always made daifuku with beans every thanksgiving so mochi was very "traditional" for our holiday meals. Love the pumpkin!

Lila said...

I'm a huge mochi fan, especially butter mochi. We eat tons of it when we are vacationing in hawaii and yet I never think to make it at home. This looks outrageously delicious.

sophia said...

Mochi is a serious addiction of mine. I tried the chocolate coconut version, yummy. Can't wait to try this one!

Lila said...

I was hoping after you mentioned this in your other mochi post that you'd post the pumpkin mochi recipe. Yum! This will be next to the pumpkin pie on our table.

Bronwyn said...

Love mochi but I've never tried pumpkin. Looks fabulous!

Leslie said...

this looks so good....what is the texture like?

Lila said...

Love, love, love, love, adore mochi. We pick it up each time we drive past our favorite asian bakery. Outstanding!

Ellie said...

One of my favorite types of desserts! Happy Thanksgiving to you and Brooklyn!

Lila said...

My husband asked me to make this and it was divine and just like the mochi we order at a restaurant in Hawaii! Thank you!

June said...

Hi! You may not endorse this but I was wondering if there's any way to adapt the recipe using canned pumpkie pie filling? I have a can sitting in my pantry and haven't found anything inspiring usages aside from this. Thanks!

Mary said...

Hi June. I've never purchased pumpkin pie filling before. On the ingredients label, is the difference just that pumpkin pie filling has spices and sugar? Since this recipe doesn't have sugar in it but rather the sweetness comes from sweetened condensed milk--I'd think that this might be extra sweet with pie filling. I'm a big fan of experimenting in the kitchen so would love to know if you do try it and it works!

Unknown said...

Hello! I was just wondering what exactly are the measurements for 1/2 can of condensed milk (in cups/ml)? I really want to make this because it looks super yummy :) thanks!

Unknown said...

Oh and also what temperature do we preheat the oven to?

Mary said...

Oh man Heather...thanks for the questions. I didn't realize I hadn't posted temps. I've updated the recipe to include the details I missed. Sorry about that.

:) Hope you love it!