Thursday, December 1, 2011

Orange Pumpkin Clovers


Happy December..can you believe it's December?!?! Vegas weather has finally turned truly chilly all day instead of just in the mornings, Brooklyn has become a desert princess and absolutely refused to step even an inch outside into the cold damp today and I wept tears of joy knowing that it absolutely had to be snowing somewhere within 30 miles of here.  And I was right...I saw some snow blanketed mountains off in the distance as I drove to work.  Magical snow covered mountains.  Yes indeedy.

Is December too late to post another pumpkin recipe?  Hopefully not, because I really thought these rolls were kind of fun.  I'd cut this recipe out of Gourmet magazine a few years ago but like all recipes that are cut out, they go into a lovely binder to looked at when new recipes are added, but never utilized for making anything.  This recipe is a rare exception...just took me 2 years to get to it.  


These rolls are a basic soft dinner roll with the addition of some orange zest and some canned pumpkin.  Truthfully, they were more pumpkin and orange in scent than in flavor, but there was a slight mellow zesty flavor to them and the pumpkin made them super soft and moist. 


The original recipe called for making these rolls into clovers and I left those directions in place in the recipe below.  While there's nothing quite like a nice chewy ciabatta crust, I prefer dinner rolls to be squishy soft.  If I wasn't afraid of being deemed selfish, I'd steal the middle roll each time. And while clovers are much cuter than regular ole rolls, they have a lot more crust which isn't all that squishy and soft. 



I used the last egg for a pie instead of a wash so no shiny tops here, but still a fun and different type of roll recipe.


Formerly fierce snow dog



Sun worshipping desert princess.  



Orange Pumpkin Clovers
Gourmet Magazine February 2009

3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted, divided
1 pkg active dry yeast (approx 2 tsp)
1/4 cup warm milk (105–115°F)
1 tablespoon honey
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour plus more for kneading and dusting
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup canned pure pumpkin
2 large eggs, divided, plus 1 yolk
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon water
  1. Butter muffin cups with 1 Tbsp melted butter.
  2. Stir together yeast, warm milk, and honey in a large bowl and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. (If mixture doesn’t foam, start over with new yeast.)
  3. Mix flour, salt, pumpkin, 1 whole egg, yolk, orange zest and juice, and remaining 5 Tbsp butter into yeast mixture with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until a soft dough forms. Turn out dough onto a floured surface and knead, dusting surface and your hands with just enough flour to keep dough from sticking, until dough is elastic and smooth, 6 to 8 minutes. Form dough into a ball.
  4. Put dough in an oiled large bowl and turn to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel and let dough rise in a draft-free place at warm room temperature until doubled, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
  5. Punch down dough (do not knead), then halve. Roll half of dough on a lightly floured surface with lightly floured hands into a 12-inch-long log (keep remaining half covered with plastic wrap).
  6. Cut log into 6 equal pieces, then cut each piece into thirds. Roll each piece into a 1-inch ball by cupping your hand and pushing dough against work surface as you roll in a circular motion. Put 3 balls side by side in each of 6 muffin cups.
  7. Make more rolls with remaining dough in same manner. Cover rolls with a kitchen towel (not terry cloth) and let rise in a draft-free place at warm room temperature until dough is about 1 inch above rim of muffin cups, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
  8. Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle.
  9. Whisk together remaining egg and water and brush on tops of rolls. (You will have leftover egg wash.)
  10. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer rolls to a rack and cool at least 20 minutes.

16 comments:

Lila said...

I love a squishy soft dinner roll too but usually just buy them. With this fun flavor combo, I might be convoked to try and bake some myself!

I love, love, love the doggie pics, keep them coming! She seems to have such a fun personality!

Lila said...

bahahaha! love the pics of Brooklyn being fierce! it looks like Den'vers been getting lots of snow so maybe you are secretly lucky to not have any! ;)

Anonymous said...

These looks FANTASTIC! I do love my carbos. I wonder if I could make this into a loaf and then make french toast with it?

sophia said...

These look so comforting like they'd be great for breakfast just slathered with homemade jam.

What a cutie dog! My dog won't go outside if it's raining, I actually have to carry him out and place him in the grass.

Lila said...

carbs how I love thee and especially soft dinner rolls I love the idea of orange and pumpkin in the rolls even if the flavor is subtle.

Bronwyn said...

My Boston refuses to go anywhere snow when we take him on vacation to Jackson Hole with us. He doesn't see snow here where we live so thinks its pretty evil.

Lila said...

I have it on my bucket list to try and make a yeast bread one of these days. The yeast and kneading part scare me but all the roll recipes on the internet over the holidays are tempting for sure!

Lila said...

Bookmarking these for next year! I don't blame Brooklyn really, snow can be awfully dreadful says the California girl!

Monica said...

Brooklyn a princess? Never!

Leslie said...

oooh Mary these look so yummy and are so pretty.

Lila said...

Dogs can be princesses, it's kind of their job really.

Yummy!

Lila said...

Oh these look so good I just imagine some turkey and cranberry sauce smashed in between!

Ellie said...

I love watching puppies play. It's so sweet and innocent and animated!

Lila said...

dinner rolls are my favorite part of all big meals. I slather butter on it and get so full on rolls I never have room for turkey, ham or whatever else is for dinner.

Lila said...

poo wish I'd seen these before T-gving. Bookmarking for next year for sure!

Lila said...

These look so good and sound relatively easy! I wonder what kind of french toast it would make?