Friday, February 14, 2014

Homemade Hawaiian Rolls


I haven't been sulking after Denver's Super Bowl loss.  All that much.  Actually, if you've been a Denver fan long enough to remember the heartbreak of Denver's Super Bowl losses in the late 80s and early 90s, well you've probably learned to effectively cope with the grief.  It's really all about compartmentalizing.   After you get past the initial shock that the team has lost it within the first 12 seconds of the game, you begin to the road to acceptance that it's going to be another one of those.  It get's easier with each blowout.

So homemade Hawaiian rolls.

There are a bazillion recipes out there for Hawaiian rolls--I found this recipe that the blogger said were the fluffiest rolls she'd ever made.  That's just a recipe begging to be made in my book.  Seriously, these are the fluffiest, softest rolls I've ever made as well.  They are not as sweet as the store bought ones but that's a plus in my opinion.  

The sweetness in these comes from brown sugar and pineapple. That's definitely a good start to any recipe. 


I adapted the recipe to use coconut oil instead of olive oil because I am swimming in Costco sized coconut oil over here.  Knowing that there's dough rising on the counter almost ready to bake makes be absolutely giddy.  Is there any kitchen smell that's better? Okay, maybe cinnamon rolls.


When I make rolls I pull the dough around and pinch tightly at the bottom to make a ball shape.  I think I learned once that this forms a tension on the top of the rolls that helps them keep their shape (as opposed to just rolling them like you are rolling cookie dough).  


You can already tell just from the rising that these are going to be super soft and fluffy right?




These rolls are pretty fantastic filled with Hawaiian pulled chicken, but really, they're pretty fantastic straight out of the pan as well.  Try to eat just one. 


Homemade Hawaiian Rolls
adapted from Yammie's Noshery

Ingredients:
1/3 cup milk warm milk
1 packet instant dry yeast
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup melted coconut oil, plus additional 2 tsp for bowl and pan
4 tbsp butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup pineapple in juice
4 cups bread flour (all-purpose would also work)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

For the tops:
1 egg
1/4 cup water

Directions:
  1. Heat milk in a small saucepan until warm to the touch or about 100-105 degrees.  Add yeast and let rest for 5 minutes. 
  2. Add the oil, butter, pineapple, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt and milk mixture to a mixing bowl and mix on low until combined. 
  3. Add flour and knead for 10 minutes on medium speed and using dough hook. This dough should be  a bit sticky.   
  4. Grease a large bowl with melted 1 tsp of coconut oil.  Add dough and turn to coat dough with oil. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled (about 45-60 minutes depending upon your kitchen temp). Punch the dough down and divide into twelve equal balls. 
  5. Grease  9x13 inch pan with 1 tsp coconut oil, roll dough into balls and let rise again until doubled (45-60 minutes). 
  6. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Beat together the egg and water for the top and brush the tops of the risen rolls with the egg wash. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the tops are golden browned.

9 comments:

sophia said...

My grandmother always made fresh homemade white rolls and they were just about the best thing ever. I've never been able to get them quite so soft and fluffy so I'm definitely excited to try this. My son loves Hawaiian rolls!

Melody said...

those look delicious!

Lila said...

Okay, I'm def making these today! I don't bake bread as often as I'd like but you've easily convinced me here that it's worth the effort. Plus the store bought ones have some chemical taste IMO.

Lila said...

I was just searching for a menu for a dinner with my inlaws tomorrow and I think these will be a hit. They look really fluffy too! There's nothing worse than baking rolls and having them be dry or heavy. Yummy!

Lila said...

I made these today and they were amazing! My kids snarfed them right up and my husband has already declared that they'll be a regular thing for us. I guess he better start baking! They were super delicious and soft and we loved them!

Lila said...

These look really soft and squishy and yummy! Can't wait to try them!

Bronwyn said...

I know I haven't left a comment in forever so I'm making up today! :) I made these right after you posted them and my husband has asked for them just about every weekend since. They are amazing!

Lila said...

Oh man do these rolls ever look good! My son eats Hawaiian rolls they are candy. I'm not much of a baker, but with a mixer, you make this sound pretty easy!

Lila said...

these were so amazing! I increased the sugar by about 1/4 cup since you mentioned they weren't very sweet and they were perfect with the extra sugar. These were crazy, mad delicious!