Thursday, April 5, 2012

Quinoa Guacamole Salad


My sister hates avocados.  I know, take a moment and fathom what that must be like.  Yeah, neither can I.  I think they are quite possibly one of the worlds most perfect foods, right up there with spinach and tomatoes.   Guacamole salad is so full of yummy avocadoey guacamole flavor, that sometimes you might feel a little guilty for eating it by the spoonful.   I did, which is why I decided to try adding a bit of quinoa to it.  

This recipe is actually a variation of the guacamole salad recipe I shared a few years ago.  I make it all the time...it's a perfect summery BBQ salad that most people tend to love.  People that are not my sister of course. 

Off topic a bit, but don't you love these little mini sweet peppers that are popping up in stores these days?  I used to be obsessed with snap peas.  Now I'm obsessed with these...they are so fun to snack on and are perfect for this salad because you can get all of the phenomenal pepper colors without having to buy three full peppers.


The basic ingredients are the same from Barefoot Contessa's original recipe: black beans, peppers, tomatoes and avocados.  Somewhere along the way though, I started adding a handful of cilantro to the dressing because cilantro is awesome. 


And of course this time, a cup of cooked quinoa.  I really loved the addition of the quinoa this time, so much that it'll become a permanent part of the recipe.  It adds a a pretty healthy protein packed fill to the salad that still retains all of the original guacamole flavor. 


The original recipe called for "gently folding in the avocados."  You can of course do that and the avocados stay the same size and are separate bites within the salad.  I chose to roughly cut and roughly stir so that the avocado mushed up and the salad became a lot less like salad and a lot more like guacamole. Only caveat is that you obviously have to add the avocados right before serving and the salad definitely does not keep.  That's okay because there are usually aren't any leftovers anyway. 



Guacamole Salad
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa At Home

Ingredients:
1.5 cups quinoa
1 cup water
3 small tomatoes diced
1.5 cups diced red, yellow and/or orange sweet peppers diced
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup small diced red onion
2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers, seeded (2 peppers)
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
Juice of one lime
1/4 cup cilantro
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced 
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled, and 1/2-inch diced

Directions:
  1. Add quinoa and water to small saucepan and bring to slight boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and let cook for  10 minutes.  
  2. Remove from heat and allow to sit for additional 10 minutes.  Remove lid, fluff with fork and allow to cool completely
  3. Place the tomatoes, pepper, black beans, red onion, jalapeƱo peppers and quinoa in a large bowl.  
  4. In a small food processor, puree cilantro, lime zest,  lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper until dressing is emulsified.  
  5. Pour over the vegetables and quinoa and toss well.
  6. Just before you're ready to serve the salad, fold the avocados into the salad. Check the seasoning and serve at room temperature.


18 comments:

Lila said...

I make the original guac salad recipe from your blog all the time. My husband loves that stuff! I like the addition of quinoa here for that added healthy benefit. I'm going to give it a try and hope he loves it as much or more!

Monica said...

That's funny. I saw the title of your post and before even starting to read it I was feeling ill. I do like quinoa though. Maybe I can make it without the "a" word.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh and ahhhhhhhhj! This looks out of world delicious!

Lila said...

My sister is not an avocado fan either and I don't get it. This looks YUMMY!!!!

Lila said...

The chicken, the guacamole salad, it all looks good! Can't wait for summer to finally be here!

Lila said...

Are you serious?!?!? YUMMO! I cannot wait to try this!

Bronwyn said...

Oh goodness this looks too good to be true! I love guac and quinoa so what a pair together!

Lila said...

I wish blogger had a "heart" button. Heart, heart the recipe!

Lila said...

Yummy yummy! My husband sent me this link actually and asked me to make it so we're putting it on the menu for our Saturday meal. Thanks for sharing it, it looks soooo good!

Lila said...

Mary this looks so delicious!!!! I am so jonesing to make this that I really wish I had some ripe avocado right now. Wow!

Lila said...

I think I could gladly eat this daily. I make a salad with a cilantro dressing often that is similar but is missing the avocados but the avocados are definitely very inviting! Looks great!

Lila said...

Holy guacamole. You mean I can eat guacamole by the spoonful and not feel guilty? Yes please!

Lila said...

seriously yummy looking! Wow!

Lila said...

I make the regular guac salad recipe you posted long ago. When I hit the link it was strange to see how long ago it was. I've been loving your blogs and getting great recipes for years! Thank you!

Ellie said...

We made this version last night and like you, I preferred it to the original. My husband liked the avocados smashed up a bit more like this, but preferred the fewer ingredients in the original. Boys. ;)

Peace Thyme said...

Do you know that I met somebody this week who does not like tomatoes? How is that possible? How do you cook without garlic and tomatoes and mushrooms? Is it an alien?

Lila said...

This looks so good!

Lila said...

Bought all of the ingredients to try this one tomorrow night. Looks soooo good too!