Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pineapple Upside-Down Pancakes



I recently posted an update on this recipe with a few lessons learned...here


We have this fabulous breakfast place in downtown Denver called Snooze. I pretty much love any and every breakfast place but Snooze reigns supreme when it comes to pancakes. They have pancake flights so you don't have to choose just one flavor of pancake, but if one is forced into a one pancake limitation, the pineapple upside-down pancakes are fabulous. The first time I went to Snooze, I ordered a savory brekkie since I don't really crave sweets in the morning then ended up eating Nitro's pancakes right out from under him. I went on a personal quest to find/figure out the recipe for the pineapple pancakes. I actually found the instructions that Snooze shared (but not the actual pancake recipe) and made that a couple of months ago. Today, I tried again with a few alterations of my own. And as today was my last *free* day prior to starting my new job, I went all out and made an entire pancake flight. On the menu as well were blueberry pancakes, and banana pancakes ala Jack Johnson.

Cinnamon butter is essential to the pineapple pancakes, but is pretty fabulous on the others.

5 tbsp softened butter
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon.
Mix ingredients, roll into log in wax paper and place in refrigerator to harden.
Vanilla Crème:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Basic Buttermilk Pancakes:

2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp melted butter

Whisk together dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix gently to combine taking care not to overmix. Set aside to allow batter to hydrate for 15 mins. (For banana pancakes, I pulled out about a cup of batter and added it to half a mashed banana)

For the pineapple pancakes, dice 1 cup fresh pineapple. Melt 2 tbsp butter on high and add 1/3 cup packed brown sugar to create a caramel. Add pineapple and cook on high, stirring constantly. The pineapple will release a lot of juice and the goal is to evaporate as much of this juice without overcooking the pineapple.



Heat nonstick griddle on medium heat. Pour pancake batter onto griddle and top with pineapple mixture (or blueberries). Flip when bubble rise and pop and edges appear firm. Store pancakes on plate in warm oven while cooking the rest. The batter will yield approximately 16 six inch pancakes.


Top with slices of cinnamon butter and vanilla crème .
Pineapple upside-down, blueberry and banana pancakes--that's a lot of food. Better for a weekend with friends. I'm not sure what I was thinking.

25 comments:

Leslie said...

looks yummy as usual...i hope that we are not going to "see" less of you once you start the new job. I love seeing what is going on in Mary's world.

Brown Family Blog said...

Hey darling! Best wishes on your day tomorrow. I agree with Leslie though.

Miss Joyce called me yesterday and I forwarded your blog and Leslie's on to Kristen to give to her (her email isnt working). Sorry Les, forgot to tell you that today. :o)

Leslie said...

Dee how funny is it that you are leaving me messages here...i know you know i will be here reading, but funny all the same. Are we hogging your blog Miss Mary? I hope to see visit from Joyce for all of us soon.

Mary said...

I always love both y'all's comments silly. ;) I had to explain to someone today that I actually haven't seen either of you in like 6 or 7 years. Except maybe I saw Dee 5 years ago when i flew through Atlanta? It's been a long time either way.

Leslie said...

Mary i think the last time I saw you was at the firstie parade when Chris graduated, before we got married 8 years ago!! Long time

Monica said...

Yum! I want to make these...but is cinnamon butter as hard to make as honey butter?

Mary said...

You'll have to ask Dolly about the honey butter recipe....

kevin said...

just tried the recipe for basic buttermilk pancakes on here, but my batter ended up pretty thick and not really pourable. i've never made pancakes from scratch before, but is that how it's supposed to be?

FWIW i halved the quantities. i also used whole wheat flour, which i have kept in the freezer.

they tasted fine, though :)

Mary said...

Hi Kevin. Was it whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour? I've found that whole wheat flour will be much more dense in recipes whereas you can usually just swap out whole wheat pastry flour for white flour pretty evenly. The great thing about pancakes though is that you can just add water or buttermilk here to thin out the batter a bit and the pancakes will come out pretty much the same. The thicker batter will usually result in a more muffin like batter whereas the thinner batter will be a bit lighter in texture.

kevin said...

hi mary, thanks for the response! it was indeed whole wheat flour. i had a suspicion that that could be the cause.. i'm glad you confirmed it :) i'm going to make more pancakes today so i'll try adding more buttermilk. thanks again!

Lila said...

Kay so I saw this in your popular post feature and had to try. Made them this weekend and I am now the world's biggest fan of pineapple upside down pancakes. Wow!!! thanks for sharing!

Ellie said...

what a great flavor combo. can't wait to try these!!!

Fran said...

I just made these this morning for breakfast, and they were INCREDIBLE!!! I had to add a little more flour - they were thin. But other than that, delicious! I don't think I'll ever make pancakes another way again :)

Mary said...

Fran I am so glad you made them and glad you left a comment. Love to hear they worked out for you! Pancake batter is funny but luckily it's so adaptable with just a bit more liquids or flour. Our flour tends to be pretty dry here so I often need a bit less.
Cheers!

Lila said...

I'm going to make these for dinner tonight. Pancakes for dinner is okay right? :)

Lebeau2501 said...

I know this post if almost 3 years old, but I have recently been introduced to the Snooze experience as they now have one in Fort Collins. I lack the verbal capacity to describe the PUDcakes. Just...like nothing I've ever experienced. Love, love, love. Thanks for deconstructing them for us. I will be trying this out soon.

Mary said...

So glad--hope you like them! Snooze is the best--just went there again yesterday and their pancake of the day was a red velvet with white chocolate chips. They are brilliant.

Ellie said...

So I finally tried these this morning and that butter and sauce were to die for! Maybe my favorite pancake to date.

Lila said...

these look out of this world. I'm definitely giving these a try soon---wow!!!

Marese said...

Thanks so much for devising and sharing this recipe! Made them this morning for family brunch and they were Fabulous!!!
I'll still order them at Snooze, maybe the ambiance adds to the flavor there, but these were as close as I can imagine. Again, thank you!
Marese

Mary said...

Another Snooze fan--yay! Thanks for the comment...I thought they were pretty similar in flavor but it's nice to have a second opinion. Glad they worked for you!

Lila said...

Ops and this one is on the menu for this weekend too. Love that "favorite posts" category.

Lila said...

I love snooze--we'd wait hours to eat there (and have). I'll be making thise over the weekend. Thanks for breaking it down. Never would have thought about the cream or the butter, just the pancakes. :)

Lila said...

These look out of this world yummy! thanks for sharing the recipe.

Julia said...

Made these recently. Amazing!