Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Cookbook # 58, Williams Sonoma London


I love this particular world cookbook collection from Williams Sonoma....it's more armchair travel then cookbook really.  With advice on where to shop and what foods to shop for in each city, it's hard not to browse through one when standing in Williams Sonoma. That being said, I usually grab "Paris"  (oh the cheeses) or "New York" (how I miss thee) or Florence (food so worthy of an entire series of cookbooks).  London, well, not so much.   It's not that I don't adore London.  Truth be told, the UK is my all time favorite travel destination. No other country makes me want to chuck it all for any opportunity to live within its borders. I would wait tables to live there or herd sheep in the Scottish highlands--with my kilted lover reading The Lady of the Lake with his thick Scottish brogue of course.  Ahhh the brogue.... and what could be grander than being able to travel to Cotswolds for the weekend? There is anglophilia flowing through this girl's blood.

But the food?  I am ashamed to admit that my trips there have not been culinary adventures.  There was a love affair with shortbread and tea and scones, but I couldn't even tell you what real food I've eaten over there aside from Chinese and Indian.  Shame on me. 

Can we talk about the curries though?  Unbelieveable.  Truly.  And when I picked up this cookbook, I was drawn specifically to the curry recipe.  Don't try to tell me I could find those recipes in an Indian cookbook--I'd finally justified the London cookbook and it's filled with photos of London.  It was the armchair travel that I really wanted.

That being said, the recipes in here actually do sound quite fabulous...Lemon Lavender cake for tea, Asian Grilled Salmon Salad and Pear Souffle.  And the crowning glory?  Sticky Toffee Pudding.  I've never had toffee pudding, and when I read the recipes, I"m not even sure how much I really want to eat a pudding.  But I sure do fancy the idea of making a traditional English pudding.  This Sticky Toffee Pudding pulls out all the raisins and dried fruit that had me passing on the other recipes.  Perhaps this will be the year I make my first English Pudding.  While singing traditional English Christmas carols, because they are the best as well.  Who doesn't want to go wasailing?

Oh right, the cookbook.  So of course, until I can get over my pudding phobia and just do it, I have to settle for somthing a little safer....Chicken Tikka Masala.  And who knew that while Indian in influence, it's a British invention?

Chicken Tikka Massala is now a true British national dish, not only because it is the most popular, but because it is a perfect illustration of the way Britain absorbs and adapts external influences. Chicken Tikka is an Indian dish. The Massala sauce was added to satisfy the desire of British people to have their meat served in gravy. ”

                - Extract from a speech by British Foreign Secretary, Robin Cook.


Since I don't cook a lot of Indian, I don't know how traditional or authentic the recipe was, but it did involve a lot of steps like marinating chicken overnight in spices and yogurt, and grinding your own spices. 




It was worth every step.  I don't usually like leftovers, but this was even fabulous when taken to work two days later.  Way to go London. I will always love you more than Paris--even if some of your other foods have the words "blood"  or "kidney" in them and you outright refuse my yankee request for ketchup with my "chips."  That's what unconditional love is all about.

Chicken Tikka Masala
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma London

1/4 cup Greek yogurt
4 skinless boneless chicken breast, chopped into 1 inch cubes
juice of 1 lime
2 t. minced ginger
1 tsp each ground cumin and garam masala

In nonreactive bowl, stir together the above ingredients, cover and refrigerate at least one hour or overnight.
Preheat broiler.  Remove chicken from marinade and place on plate.  Season with salt and drizzle with oil.  Toss to coat.  Arrange chicken in a single layer on a foil-lined broiler pan and set under the broiler, turning once, until browned.(about 3 minutes per side)

Masala Sauce

1 small yellow onion diced
1 clove garlic, finely diced
1 tsp minced ginger
5  green cardamom pods
1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. turmeric
1 tsp each of ground cumin and coriander
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp heavy cream
1/2 tsp garam masala
Juice of half lemon

In a saucepan over medium heat, warm 3 tsp oil.  Add onion, ginger and garlic and cook 4-5 minutes until onion is softened, stirring frequently.  Add cardamom and ground spices except garam masala and cook 2 minutes stirring constantly.  Add tomatoes and cook additional 5-8 minutes.  Add cream and yogurt, 1/4 cup water and bring to boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer untl the mixture forms a cream sauce, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in cooked chicken and garam masal and cook additional 8-10 minutes.  Stir in lemon juice.  Serve with naan or rice.

5 comments:

Colleen said...

Guinness with Tikka masala... never would have thought of that! :) I think the most English food I had while in England (other than fish and chips) was gooseberry pie. I don't recommend it, it was very sour!
Oh, and the first time I ever had Hawaiian pizza was in England... that was good.

Leslie said...

oh England...oh Scotland...would you like to try a wee drop of whiskey? remember him? And remember the dirty look i got when i asked for ketchup with my chicken and chips. i loved it there. tikka masala is my favorite indian/british dish.

Mary said...

Stirling Castle Man? I will always remember that kilted beauty offering up whiskey with his fine Scottish brogue. I girl never forgets her first true love. ;)

Shannon Hardin said...

Looks delicious! If only Chicken Tikka Masala had been around Britain a couple of hundred years ago, Dickens might have written "There is more of masala than of mausoleum about you!"

Brown Family Blog said...

I love reading your blog. :O)