Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake pops


Okay, not really cake pops.  I tried sticking them on a stick but they looked a little odd so they became cake bites. 

I've learned that cake pops have strong appeal to the young and the young at heart.  And I also learned they need not be intricate or fancy--kids LOVE them regardless of how simple you decide to go, which makes them a perfect fast homemade treat to bring when you receive a last minute BBQ invite that you can't quite squirrel out of.  Not that I know anything about that.

One cake mix made per box instructions (I used red velvet because, well, it was Memorial Day) cooled and crumbled,and 2/3 of container frosting mixed in.  Let cool for 2 hours in fridge, scoop with mini cookie scoop, roll into balls, insert sticks and refrigerate for 30 minutes more.  When ready to dip, just melt candy melts, dip and sprinkle and stick into a block of styrofoam to allow to harden.  Serve it up in a cute little pail from the $1 section at Target. I add a few of the decorative rocks to the bottom to weight the bucket down (very important), a bit of styrofoam in the middle to stick the pops into and then tissue paper on top. It couldn't be easier, and all the kids at the BBQ will think you are way cool.  Because, well, you are. 


For the strawberry ones, you just shape the cake like strawberries instead of balls and refrigerate for 30 mins.  Dip bottom 3/4 in melted red candy melts, refrigerate until hardened (about 5-10 mins).  Dip top 1/4 in green candy melts, using toothpick to pull some down randomly onto the red and refrigerate until hardened. If you want chocolate covered strawberries, melt some dark chocolate candy melts and dip the lower strawberries in the chocolate. I used dk chocolate candy melts because it was easier than tempering real chocolate, but if you like tempering chocolate, it would be phenomenal with the cake. 


14 comments:

Melody said...

how cute are the chocolate covered strawberries!! Love them!

Lila said...

My kids have been begging to make these. These are way cute!

Monica said...

Ok soooooo super cute! We still need to get together and make some! I'm thinking gumball machines this time....

Anonymous said...

love, love, love. And some more love!

sophia said...

Stinkin cute. I love that the sprinkle balls are so easy. My daughter wants to make them as favors for her birthday. Wish us luck! Do you use any particular cake or frosting brand? And the strawberries are absolutely adorable.

Lila said...

oh those strawberries are absolutely darling. My daughter wants to have her first tea party with friends and those would be so cute. I bet you can shape them into little squares too like petit fours.

Leslie said...

no matter how many cake pops you make they all look better than the ones before!!! yum

Lila said...

These strawberries are so cute! The red white and blue are awfully adorable too and glad to know they are easy to make. I always assumed they were tons of work.

Colleen said...

What a great idea! I'll have to show this to a friend of mine who loves strawberries and cake pops, so the combo just might send her over the edge!

Bonjour! said...

,,,what a yummy idea for 4th of july treats,,,recently i purchased the cake pop "bakerella" cookbook, l.o.v.e,,,someday i'm going to try these sweet lil pops, someday,,,(smile)

Mary said...

@everyone: Hi! :) and thanks!

@ sophia:I used just the duncan hines red velvet cake mix and vanilla frosting, but we haven't noticed a difference in cake mixes--the bigger factor is if you add too much or too little frosting.

@Kara: the cake shapes pretty well--squares would be pretty easy I imagine. You could even shape it into a big square or rectangle and then cut it into cubes.

@rebecca: uh oh. That's the book that started this all for my sister and me. Good luck resisting the temptation! :)

Lila said...

I recently bought this book to! It's just so darned cutie patootie. I've been looking through some that you have made and can't wait to get started. The strawberries are just the cutest.

Lila said...

I love chocolate covered strawberries. how cute are these and they actually sound easy enough!

Bronwyn said...

absolutely cutester!