Sunday, June 5, 2011

Rainbow Cake


Have you heard of "baby cakes?"  Instead of finding out the gender of baby at the doctor's office, some mothers are opting to have the Dr. write down the baby's gender and seal it in an envelope.  The mother delivers the envelope to a baker who makes either a pink or blue cake and frosts it.  The parents find out the gender of the baby after slicing into the cake. I'm thinking another occasion for cake is just genius.

When my sister gushed over the idea, I thought it might be fun to make her a cake with a surprise.  With no babies on the horizon, I thought her birthday might be the perfect occasion to whip up the Rainbow cake I've been admiring for ages.  You would think a grown woman would could resist rainbows. I blame Pinterest for my recent rainbow addiction.  I really do. 


Have to throw a little love for Mesa Grill.  I took my sister to brunch at the Mesa Grill in Caesar's Palace and it was outstanding, phenomenal, delicious, spicy and just outright YUM.  I really wish my photos had turned out so that I could share with you the delight that is Ranch Style Eggs with a crispy flour tortilla and ancho chile sauce.  It was one of the best meals I've ordered in ages, and that's not just because I secretly root for Bobby Flay on many Throwdown episodes.  Any place that advocates a margarita with your brunch and brings a bread basket full of little coffee cakes, blue corn muffins, green chili puffs and cookies is not too shabby in my book.  Definitely worth a trip if you are in town.


You would think that with that enormous breakfast, we wouldn't have room for cake, but after we got home, we perservered.  We are just that dedicated.  I used Whisk Kids' Super Epic Rainbow Cake recipe and followed it pretty closely except  that I substituted almond extract  for the vanilla and lemon in both the cake and the frosting, I only made the one batch (9 egg white recipe) of frosting and then covered the cake in coconut.

I have to admit that despite the shocking amounts of food coloring required, I absolutely loved making this cake. I love those vibrant colors.  It wasn't as difficult or time consuming as it appears at first--the frosting might be the most time consuming part.  The cake recipe makes enough for all six layers.  I have three 9inch cake pans so was able to bake these in just two rounds, and they are so thin that they only take 15 mins to bake. 



And even with all of those colors popping everywhere, when you cover it with all of that creamy meringue buttercream, the colors are perfectly hidden, just waiting there patiently to surprise everyone with that first cut. It's such a fun surprise too, even when your sister guesses it's a rainbow with the first knife slice just by seeing a bit of red crumb at the top and a bit of purple crumb at the bottom.  We are a RoyGBiv kind of family.



Happy Birthday dear sister!




27 comments:

Lila said...

I've been eyeing this cake for ages as well. Love the idea of almond and coconut!

Bronwyn said...

Rainbows are the happiest site ever and the coconut looks like a fluffy cloud. So pretty! Thanks for sharing this-I'd never seen this one.

Lila said...

Was waivering on making this for my daughter because it just looks like a lot of work but you make it sound easy. And gorgeous! Well done!

Melody said...

such a pretty, colorful cake ~ looks delicious...I finally started actually pinning things on Pinterest...loving it b/c I'm able to keep the various tutorials, recipes and other misc. stuff all in one easily accessible, viewable place! :)

The Everyday Healer said...

Gorgeous! I'm a rainbow fanatic so I love it all the more!

Grammie/Mom said...

I've been toying with this idea for the 2 munchkins over at WP. I think they would like it. Yours looks spectacular!!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I have this cake pinned to my interest too plus quite a few other rainbow desserts. Love Mesa grill and all things Bobby Flay.

Lila said...

Mesa Grill in NYC is one of my favorite restaurants, but I'm a HUGE fan of southwestern cuisine.

Love this cake but it does seem like a bit of work and I don't like meringue. I wonder if i could make this with a buttercream (or canned frosting). I know, horrible but my kids could care less. They will just love the colors.

sophia said...

Rainbows are so happy--childhood was all about having rainbow shirts and bracelets and shoelaces. This cake is so happy because it is childhood all wrapped up in a cake, which means, I am going to have to make this for my little ones. Great job on yours and love the coconut addition!

Monica said...

It was the loveliest surprise ever! And truly yummy. Thanks again Mary! I love it!

Bonjour! said...

,,,somewhere over the rainbow,,,and cake!,,,looks like a fairly easy dessert to prepare,,,how sweet of you to make the colors of the rainbow for your sister's celebration,,,happy birthday to her!,,,

Bonjour! said...

p.s.,,,now that's "chasing some blue sky" and rainbow!,,,(smile)

Bronwyn said...

happy, happy colors. gorgeous!

Ellie said...

I've had this cake bookmarked for ages but it does appear like tons of work. Glad to hear it's pretty simple, I know my daughter would love to have this for her birthday party.

Lila said...

I must live under a rock or need to get on the internet more often because I have never seen this cake before but it's so lovely. My mom used to sing Rainbow Connection to me so often, that this cake would be the ultimate for her 75th birthday. Thank you kindly for sharing it.

Lila said...

We have a trip planned to LV next month and all I asked of my husband was to go to bobby flay's mesa grill. Wooohooo. Glad to here it was a great breakfast!

Love the cake!!!!

atvmtngirl said...

Looks delicious and so happy! You always amaze me with your culinary abilities:)

Gena @ A Bluebonnet in Beantown said...

That is absolutely the coolest cake! My youngest would love it. (She's a huge fan of all things rainbow and butterflies.) We're also huge fans of They Might Be Giants Roy G. Biv at our house. :)

Lila said...

You are never too old for rainbows. Gorgeous.

Lila said...

Love the colors and the surprise and love the baby cake idea. I'm going to recommend that to my sister in law who is expecting. Thanks for sharing!

Lila said...

I think you can never outgrow a love for rainbows, they are so lovely and inspiring and deeply meaningful and so very lovely inside a cake. What a wonderful surprise it must have been to cut into that beautiful cake!

Lila said...

What a stunning cake. I haven't seen it around the blog world, but will be adding this to my list of recipes to make!

Lila said...

I've been in love with that cake for awhile but like you, the amounts of food coloring concern me a bit. But it is so pretty and for a special ocassion right? i like that you added coconut which is my daughter's favorite thing ever. I will have to try that.

blanca.diazm said...

HI!!!
Ilove your blog!
My name is Blanca, I'm from Spain and we don't have cakes like this! I was wondering if you could send me the recepy please!!
It looks delicious!
Thnks

Mary said...

Blanca--of course. It's not my recipe and I didn't truly adapt it in any way, so I'll send you over to the original poster. There's a link in the blog post but the whole recipe is at: http://whisk-kid.blogspot.com/2009/08/say-it-with-cake.html. Hope it turns out!

Lila said...

stunning cake! the blog world is huge so I don't always see all of the big "trends". thanks for passing this one on!

Anonymous said...

Hi! It's a SUPER CAKE!!!!