Saturday, June 4, 2011

Cooking on a Salt Block

Have you seen these salt blocks? I once had dinner at a restaurant where they brought us a 500 degree salt rock and we were able to sear our fresh ahi right at the table.  It was fun and delish and quite fascinating.  I've resisted the temptation of the $70 salt slab, but when I saw that World Market carries them for only $20, I grabbed it without second thought.  Even better is when it's on sale  and then you apply your World Market Explorer coupon.  The only thing better than a $20 salt block is a $10 one. 

This is going to take a bit of experimentation it turns out.  I don't think I got it quite right the first time.  I started out with some flank steak marinated in a soy ginger marinade overnight.


Even after slowly heating the salt over 40 minutes, I don't think it was hot enough. Or I overloaded the slab...the steak was more steaming in it's juices than searing. Not the most successful first try, but we'll just heat it up a bit longer next time.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been curious about these since I saw them at a restaurant. Hope you do try another recipe and let us know how it turns out!

Colleen said...

I've never seen these before. Sounds like fun!

Lila said...

So much fun. Does it make the food salty or perfectly season it?

Bronwyn said...

I ordered a fruit plate at a restaurant recently and it came on chilled salt block. It was pretty cool and gave the fruit just a small hint of salt. I thought about buying one myself.

Lila said...

We have these at a local shop and I always wondered why you'd buy your salt so big and grind it up. This is super cool!

Lila said...

We've cooked on a hot rock delivered to our table once and it was prerty unique. The salt looks like the same idea. Does the food get salty?

Ellie said...

We had this at a restaurant and loved it. Just a hint of salt, plus it felt super chic to be cooking right at our table.

Mary said...

It actually didn't impart that much salt during the cooking. Weird right?

Lila said...

So fun!

Lila said...

Love these and I've wanted to buy one for ages but they are pretty steep. Thanks for the info on World Market. There's one not too far from my husband's office.