Friday, June 17, 2011

Caprese Salad with Peaches


I know, a recipe for caprese salad is hardly the newest concept out there, and it's so easy, no recipe is really needed.  However, last week on a trip to Whole Foods to grab some lunch, I came across a different twist on the caprese salad--the addition of fresh apricots.  That combination of fresh mozarella, tomatoes, basil and sweet apricots was quite possibly the perfect flavor combination.  Of course, I had to give it a try at home with some super fresh peaches I picked up at the farmer's market. The sweetness of fruit paired with the creaminess of the mozarella, the tartness of the balsalmic reduction,  the bite of freshly ground pepper, the bit of freshly sprinkled sea salt and the clean fresh taste of basil....definitely a fan.  Don't forget a bit of olive oil drizzled over the top.

For balsalmic reduction, you just boil a bottle of balsalmic vinegar down to about 1/4 of it's original volume or until it's a thick sweet and slightly tart syrup...about 15 minutes on medium high.  It keeps in the fridge for months.

14 comments:

Lila said...

I had a fresh basil, peach and tomato salad at a restaurant last summer that was so yummy. Mozarella would only make it better. I love this!

Lila said...

your picture alone makes me want to run to the store right now and pick up the ingredients. Or even water my slowly dying basil plant. :)

Ellie said...

There is a reason that Whole Foods is so amazing. These colors are so bright and fresh looking. I love the mix of peaches and tomatoes in salad. Cant' wait to try this or the apricots.

sophia said...

I make a caprese salad a couple of times a week. I love the idea of mixing it up and adding peaches or apricots. I wonder what other fruit can be added as well......

Lila said...

peaches are one of my favorite summertime treats so I love the idea of adding them to my salad to. Delish and such a pretty picture!

Lila said...

oh yummy! And I love the reds and the blues in the photo!

Melody said...

this sounds and looks SOOO good!

I'm finally defrosting my costco bacon to make BLT's this weekend...figure I better hurry up and cook it up...that's about as much cooking as I'll be doing in the next couple of weeks... :)

my verification word is 'horstab'... what I felt like doing to the girl that we fired? :)

Lila said...

it's so pretty and scrumptious looking!

Lila said...

Caprese is a pretty standard salad in our house every summer. Our favorite thing is knowing we grew everything ourselves. We even make our own mozarella and it just so happens we have a peach tree. So excited to make this!

Lila said...

Love this twist on the salad. Thanks for sharing this!

Leslie said...

sounds amazing

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite salads ever and the peaches sound out of this world!

Monica said...

Two words. YUM MY.

Bronwyn said...

Okay, I'm inspired by the red table and blue plate. I never thought of that combo but love it!