Monday, June 27, 2011

Sloppy Lentils


I used to make sloppy joes with crumbled tofu.  Sounds a bit weird but my meat loving friends actually really loved it...in the end it's all about the sauce and the comfort of the squishy but slighly toasted bun.  Last year a friend recommended I try the recipe with lentils....and I've been hooked ever since.  I don't think I've made the tofu version since.  This recipe is quick and easy to throw together and at $1.20 for a bag of lentils, you get some pretty phenomenal protein punch for next to nothing. 

You can serve these up nacho style as well. I once offered to make my BIL any dinner he wanted when I was staying with them for a few weeks in April.  He asked for taco joes which is a dish his mom made-- a combination taco, sloppy joe served on Doritos with cheese...kind of like a big nacho.  I made myself lentil sloppy joes and served it up on tortilla chips with grated cheese and diced onion and have to say it was a thing of beauty.  


Sloppy Lentils

1 cup chopped onion
1-2 diced jalapenos (optional)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup lentils, rinsed
2 1/2 cups water
1/2-1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon mustard powder
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tbsp worcestershire (optional--leave out for a vegan version)
salt and ground black pepper to taste
4 hamburger buns, split

Directions
1. In a medium saucepan combine lentils, onions, jalapeno and garlic and mix well. Add ketchup, tomato paste, water, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire (if using), brown sugar, Bring to bubbling, then reduce heat, and cover.
3. Cook for about 30 mins, stirring regularly, adding more water if needed until lentils are cooked but still hold their shape.  Season with salt and pepper.
4. Serve on toasted buns.
Serves 4

17 comments:

Lila said...

My kids love tofu joes so we'll definitely give this a try. I love the nacho idea!

sophia said...

I'm a bug meat loving girl, but this looks pretty great and we are trying to eat healthier. I wonder if you could dump a can of manwich on lentils. My husband loves manwich and might eat it that way.

Gena @ A Bluebonnet in Beantown said...

What a fabulous, fabulous idea! Can I say "fabulous" one more time? Fabulous! We love lentils in our house (even the picky kid), and this looks like such a yum and different way to use them. I'm giving this one a try asap.

Bonjour! said...

,,,oooooh love lentils, great idea!,,,

Lila said...

this looks outrageously divine. We always have lentils in the house, I love that I can feed my whole house with $1 worth of protein and no cholesterol. Thanks for sharing!

Ellie said...

I know what Taco Joes are and they are one of my hubbies favorites to! I think the sloppy lentil version sounds fantastic though especially covered in cheese. Maye he wouldn't miss the ground beef! ;)

Lila said...

love, love, love! I had all of the ingredients and made this for dinner last night and my kids loved it! I left out the jalapenos and added a dash of bbq sauce. Thanks for sharing!

Colleen said...

This sounds so good and it's something that I would definitely take the time to make. Yum.

Lila said...

Absolutely gorgeous looking meal. We love lentils in this house and appreciate the recipe share!

Lila said...

We try and eat lentils a few times a week. I've tried soups and salads and indian but this is a perfect new take!

Lila said...

I bet this would be delicious on a toasted pita too! thanks!

sophia said...

Love these! They look yum, yum, yummy! I love that you throw healthy recipes in all the time!

Leslie said...

chris sent me the link to this recipe and thought it sounded so good. i think it might be on our next meals to make list

Bronwyn said...

Can you believe I've never tried a lentil? But I keep hearing and reading how wonderful they are. I will definitely be trying some soon. It's peer pressure really. ;)

Monica said...

The first time I had lentils was when you made these. Yummy!!!! Thanks for introducing me.

Anonymous said...

oh this is a definitely a great midweek meal-it looks so quick and yummy!

Lila said...

i tried these last night with the nacho idea you posted and the kids ate them right up. Even though it was nachos, lentils are a big victory in our house!