Thursday, August 28, 2014

Montecatini Alto


You probably won't find Montecatini Alto in a guide book or all over Pinterest.  This little town was a find through searches for small local activities and discussions with those in class who have been in town longer than I have.

Montecatini Alto is the hilltop town that sits right above Montecatini Terme.  It's medieval, relatively untouristed, quiet--everything I am looking for on a lazy Sunday.  Even more awesome is that instead of driving up, you can take the 19th century funicolare for some phenomenal views on the ride up.  



While you can drive up to Montecatini Alto if you have a car, I'd recommend taking the funicolare anyway. It's only 7€ for a round trip ticket (andato e ritorno), runs every half hour during Mar-Nov and the views are pretty phenomenal along the way.  It's a pretty quick 5-8 minute ride up so if your legs can handle it, stand in the front or back for the best views. 




Montecatini Terme below.  I'm beginning to see a pattern with my need to see everything from up high.




Montecatini Alto is the type of town in which you just spend your time wandering aimlessly about.  If you like museums and activities, this might not be your speed.  If you need a day of quiet tranquility, roaming empty streets and alleys, viewing (and accidentally roaming into) olive and fruit groves and sitting in a cafe with a glass of wine, then Montecatini Alto is just the place.  There were times when I didn't run into anyone else for ages while wandering around this town.







The best part about Montecatini Terme and Alto is that they are just a short 30ish minute train ride from Lucca or Florence so easily an afternoon trip or just a quick break from the crowds of Florence if you happen to need it. Montecatini Terme is on the Florence --> Viareggio line(and perhaps others).   If you haven't taken the train in Italy, just a hint that it always helps to know the first and last station to know which train to look for on the departure and/or arrival boards. The Trenitalia app or station ticket kiosks tell you the train number as well if you think to look, but I found that those numbers can't always be counted on.  Trains are pretty easy now between using  the app and kiosks at the train stations--just make sure you have your EMV chip credit card in hand.  Mine's just chip and sig which had me convinced I would be left stranded at train stations all over Italy but it's worked at all the train kiosks thus far.  

Small side note--there have been some brief moments when I've wondered if maybe I don't miss the pace of working a little bit.   It's a little masochistic yes, but I can't help feeling completely unproductive at times with all this bizarre me-time.  Then someone asked me at dinner why the US hasn't fully converted over to EMV chip yet and all thoughts about being ready to get back into the workforce flew right out of my head.  Quickly and thoroughly.  

Montecatini has two trains stations that are just minutes apart.  While Montecatini Terme is the main station, Montecatini Centro is more central to the Montecatini spas and funicolare.  It's pretty easy wandering through the beautiful spa town of Montecatine Terme (another post dear ones) to get the to the funicolare.  It's a nice surprise to find an easily accessible quiet little hill town in Italy.

Why on earth would I even consider going back to work when I now drink wine at all hours of the day apparently?


16 comments:

Lila said...

Hi Mary! I love your blog food posts of course but am also really enjoying your Italy adventures since it's helping us plan our trip soon! I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know what EMV chip card is. I tried to look it up but Wikipedia only confused me more. Can you tell me if I really need one or if my credit cards won't work? They are just regular credit cards which sound different from what EMV sounds like.

Lila said...

I'm so glad somebody else has the same question. I heard about chip cards but I don't really understand except my brother in law telling me to get one before we go to France and Italy. Do I need to get one before our trip in the spring? Are they easy to get?

Lila said...

Sorry, I ment to mention your pictures are also beautiful and I like all of your ideas especially this one because I know we'll want a quiet day away from Florence. Thank you!

Lila said...

I love reading through all of your posts. This looks like the exact thing we are looking for in a few weeks when we head to Italy ourselves. We love Florence and the hill towns but sometimes we just want some peace and quiet and we've never been here. It looks wonderful, thanks for sharing!

Lila said...

We loved Montecantini Alto and spent the day getting mud spa treatments in Montecatini Alto. It's difficult to say which one is better but you've captured the charm of Alto beautifully! I remember standing at the clock tower thinking that everything was perfect with the whole world, for that one moment. Well done!

sophia said...

I love that you have time to post regularly now. I always love reading your posts and seeing your pretty pictures. I've never heard of montacantini but that's probably why it's such a good place to go without lots of tourists. I love the door pictures and the pretty shutters and flowers!

Please do answer the question about whether you think a chip card is essential. I've heard both sides about someone not being able to buy a train ticket and then someone using their regular card all the time but just with an older machine.

Lila said...

My husband was walking behind me when I pulled up your blog and he says we are going here. He's a train and engine afficianodo so is pretty excited about this funicolare for our trip to Italy next month of all the things to be excited about. I don't mind though because I know we'll need a break from Florence and these empty streets filled with flowers, beautiful doors and stone look like something I could spend all day looking at!

Lila said...

My husband was walking behind me when I pulled up your blog and he says we are going here. He's a train and engine afficianodo so is pretty excited about this funicolare for our trip to Italy next month of all the things to be excited about. I don't mind though because I know we'll need a break from Florence and these empty streets filled with flowers, beautiful doors and stone look like something I could spend all day looking at!

Lila said...

Spoken like someone who's ready to go back to work? ;) Although how you'll ever be able to after sitting at a cafe and sipping wine during the day is beyond me. Montecatini looks like the perfect small town. Yet another idea I'm adding to our list.

Mary said...

Thanks for the kind words all. :)

The answers to the questions about EMV can get pretty confusing in regards to offline vs online terminals etc, so I'm going to make really broad generalizations about the terminals I've seen in Italy.

A lot of payment machines in Europe can't read the magnetic stripe on a credit card. You can still travel using your mag stripe card but I think there a few considerations:
1. You may have to wait in a long line at the ticket counter -assuming one is open. There's usually an open one during the day at each station I've been to but Italy isn't always predictable with their hours. Kiosks are open at all hours with little to no line and I haven't had one yet that required a pin so offline/online terminals has not been an issue for me.
2. Not all ticket offices have english speakers--kiosks have english options that also let you read through some of the train options so you can choose the one that best suits you. It's difficult to communicate your preferences to a ticket office that doesn't speak english and there's a long line behind you. You are going to get the ticket that the worker chooses for you.
3. Some small town stores/shops don't know what to do with a mag stripe--true enough. I witnessed an American couple trying to purchase olive oil in a small shop and we had to motion the shopkeeper through how to swipe the card (which didn't work) and then hand key the transaction which didn't work either

You can also throw the dice and hope the machine can read mag stripes--some machines still can. I used a mag stripe debit card in a machine without issue when I had a frustrating moment with my chip card not authorizing once.

So really your card should work but chip cards make it easier. You can check with your card issuer and if they don't have it on your existing product, they probably have it on one of their other products. Almost all major travel branded cards have already converted to at least chip and sig. Else, the other option is to carry cash for when your mag stripe card won't work (Some train kiosks will accept cash IF the cash portion is working and they have change left in them)

Hope that wasn't more confusing.

Lila said...

Thank you Mary! I called my credit card company and they upgraded my account to card with a chip just to be safe.

Melody said...

love all the stonework! Can't wait to hear about the spa! :)

Lila said...

This is wonderful Mary! We are traveling to Italy in October and love to go to small off the beaten path places whenever we travel. Our favorite cities have been ones with populations of under 5000 and not in any Rick Steves guide though we like him. We do like the peace and quiet at times though too and sitting in cafes surrounded by locals. This looks like such a lovely little town!

Lila said...

Thank you Mary for taking the time to answer my question! That's why I love your blog, you are down to earth!

Lila said...

Wow. Since hubs hates crowds, this might be my way of getting him to come to Italy!

Unknown said...

I love Montecatini Terme! We went to the spa there as well and it was quiet the experience. Suffice it to say - you should be modest if going to an Italian spa. Afterwards we ate one of the most amazing meals in Montecatini Alta. I could get used it!