Thursday, August 21, 2014

Riomaggiore


Ah, Cinque Terre.  Apparently it used to be a hidden treasure until it wasn't.  Some articles still call it a "hidden gem" on the Italian Riviera.  I'm not sure about that--  I can't even imagine what this place might be like without elbow to elbow crowds. Despite the mobs of tourists (of which I understand I am one), it's still one of the most magical places on earth....the waters are pure turquoise, and the colored homes make you feel like you are in a fairy land. 

I didn't hike the trails this time as I'd actually planned on spending a weekend in Cinque Terre later in the season.  Italy has a surprise (to me) national holiday on Aug 15 though so I took a quick day trip to spend the afternoon sitting by the water and reading a book.  Wow, even as I write that I can hardly believe I get to do things like that for awhile.   


Riomaggiore is the first town if you are coming from the south/east.  The sea was a little dramatic that day so there were no boats out, but it was a perfect "breeze" to cool down after what had been a hot, hot week under the Tuscan sun. Ha. 


I don't know anything about the history of Riomaggiore except that once upon a time, long ago, a great explorer named Rick Steves sailed the oceans blue and discovered it and Americans such as myself have been flocking to to it ever since.   It's also even more popular with the Italians themselves--they know what a national treasure they have here.






Yeah, this person just lives here on  this little cliff with beautiful swirling turquoise waters below him.     No big deal.


Riomaggiore has seafood galore--you can go schmance sit down, or pick up some seafood picked up in the morning catch and deep fried.  Have you ever had same day fresh caught calamari? Outstanding and yet I, the queen of taking random picture foods, neglected to capture its beauty on camera. 


I don't think seeing hanging laundry will ever lose its charm.  






So even with the stunning views and Italy all around me, I spent a good amount of time gushing over this one...obviously, since I felt it appropriate to photograph a stranger's dog.  This little Frenchie belonged to an American family that lives in Barcelona and  I really, really, really just wanted to sit there all day getting puppy kisses.  Love that smush face.

I guess I am missing my little peanut even more than I knew I would.  


13 comments:

Lila said...

It's really hard for me to believe that anyone is fortunate enough to live on a cliff overlooking the sea like that. It's absolutely gorgeous. If I visited there, I'd never leave.

I can see how that cutie would steal your attention. I have a frenchie myself so have a soft spot for them.

Lila said...

Wow, stunning place and pictures! We were on the Italian Rivieria last year and just didn't have time to get to Cinque Terre despite wanting to really bad. It is gorgeous and now I wish we had. Just another reason to plan a new vacation! Thanks for sharing all of these with us. I love checking in and thinking about planning my next trip.

Lila said...

We spent part of our honeymoon in Cinque Terre and always regretted not spending the whole time there. We were there in May and it was busy but we loved it so much we didn't care. I can't wait to see more pictures. They are a amazing!

Lila said...

We love Riomaggiore I think it might be our favorite of the 5 towns. Or Vernazza. Or Corniglia. :) I love the colors and I would have gushed over the doggie too even in Riomaggiore. What a sweetheart!

Lila said...

Bellissimo! I love the colors of the Cinque Terre and your photos have done a very good job capturing them. Riomaggiore has some of the most delicious seafood in all of Italy!

Lila said...

OMG are those the bluest prettiest waters ever. If I didn't know better, I'd have guessed you were in the Carribbean until I saw the houses of course. So, so pretty!

Lila said...

Absolutely beautiful photos Mary. I love coming on here and seeing what you've posted and what fun adventure you've recently had. Hope you keep posting regularly! Cinqua Terra is on my list of must see places and I think we might get there for our 20th anniversary. My fingers are crossed.

Melody said...

I cannot believe how pretty turquoise blue the water is!

Your 'once upon a time...Rick Steves' story made me laugh out loud :)

I saw a Frenchie / Boston mix the other day at the park and it was SO cute! The owner said the pup was skittish b/c it had been 'attacked' by another dog so I didn't get a pic of it, but it looked exactly half Boston / half Frenchie if you can imagine... :)

Lila said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty!! :)

Lila said...

I have a frenchie so that last photo made me do a double take. Her face has the same coloring as your Boston. The other pictures are absolutely gorgeous as well of course. I love the colorful homes and fishing boats. I just saw an article that said it was a good place to go in the fall so maybe if we start saving this year for next fall, we'll be ready!

Lila said...

Riomaggore was the only town in Cinque Terre we visited. We were going from Monaco to Pisa for our flight out and barely had time to visit even one town but we tried really hard and stopped by the closest town. I'm glad Riomaggiore was the closest because it was amazingly beautiful as you've shown. I can't wait to get back there now!

Lila said...

G-g-g-g-g-orgeous! I want to run away to Cinque Terra forever. :) Looks amazing!

Lila said...

Aw, look at that cutie french bulldog! I can see why you'd want to get kisses from him all day. Riomaggore though is pretty mesmerizing as well. I can't believe how colorful the houses and water are.