Bacon...yum. Tomatoes...yum. Fresh sourdough...oh my. I probably don't have to convince you though...it's difficult to find someone that doesn't love BLTs, because bacon is the best. I've heard quite a few vegetarians claim that bacon is the only smell that tempts them to become carnivorous. And as staunchly anti-pork as I say I am...I love bacon. Super crispy, well done, salty bacon. Yum.
BLTs are perfect and simple as a meal, but as a salad, you can have it before or with any meal. I made a yogurt based dressing only because I don't really like mayo (yes, I've been told it's weird) but you could substitute mayo for some of the yogurt in the dressing for a more traditional BLT flavor.
And since I think that toasty bread is an essential flavor in the BLT, I've topped my salad with some toasted breadcrumbs. Not a lot, but just enough to remind you that the salad is inspired by the sandwich.
1 head iceberg lettuce
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
1 lb bacon
garlic toasted breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- drizzle of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Whisk together dressing ingredients
Garlic Toasted Breadcrumbs
- 2-3 slices fresh sourdough
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pulse bread in food processor until fine crumb
- Heat olive oil over med heat. Cook garlic in oil for 1-2 minutes taking care not to burn
- Add bread crumbs and cook for 2-4 minutes or until crumbs are toasted.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels and let cool. Crumble into small pieces.
- Cut lettuce into wedges
- Cut tomatoes in half
- Prepare dressing and breadcrumbs
- To serve, place lettuce, tomatoes and crumbled bacon on plate. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.